Minnesota hangs on to defeat San DiegoJun 18, 2011 - 4:02 AM
Joe Mauer knocked in a run in his first action since April 12, and Michael Cuddyer added an RBI for the Twins, who posted their fifth straight victory.
"It felt so good just to get back in the atmosphere and go home," Mauer admitted. "I was real excited to get out there with my teammates and get a win."
Brian Duensing (4-6) worked six innings for the win, allowing seven hits and two runs while fanning five. Matt Capps turned in a scoreless ninth for his 10th save.
Ryan Ludwick hit a three-run homer and Chase Headley finished 4-for-5 with two doubles and drove in the other two runs for the Padres, who have dropped six of seven.
Clayton Richard (2-9) was tagged in defeat for 10 hits and six runs -- five earned -- over five-plus frames.
"That first inning, no doubt...not many good things happened for us," said Padres manager Bud Black. "We battled back, outhit them, got their closer in the game and put the stress back on them. We had momentum on our side as the game went on because we played much better."
In the fourth, Jason Repko stroked a two-out single and advanced on a throwing error. He scored when Revere followed with a base hit to give the Twins a 6-1 edge.
Duensing served up a one-out walk to Alberto Gonzalez in the fifth, and he came around to score on Headley's two-out double.
The Twins wasted a two-on, one-out situation in the home sixth, and it came back to haunt the home team in the Padres' next turn at the plate. Consecutive two-out hits from Jason Bartlett and Headley against Alex Burnett preceded Ludwick's long homer to left which pulled the visitors within 6-5.
Glen Perkins shut the door in the eighth and Capps retired the side in order in the ninth to preserve the narrow victory.
Minnesota provided Duensing with a significant cushion early, tallying five times in the first inning. Revere reached on an error, advanced on an Alexi Casilla single but was caught stealing third. Casilla went to second on a wild pitch then came in thanks to a Mauer RBI single.
For Mauer, who was activated off the 60-day disabled list prior to the game, it was his first run batted in since his last appearance over two months ago.
"It's been a long time coming, and a long road back. I just tried to keep it simple tonight," Mauer said of his approach at the plate. "They had a tough lefty out there, and I tried to use the whole field against him. I was able to get a pitch there early and get one through the infield."
Cuddyer bounced a double to left to score Mauer then Delmon Young walked, both runners advanced on a passed ball and Valencia capped the five-run inning with his blast to the left-field seats.
Headley doubled in Chris Denorfia in the third to get San Diego on the board.
This is the first meeting between the clubs since the Twins swept three in a row from June 24-26, 2008 at the Metrodome...Minnesota has won five of the last seven meetings over San Diego...Prior to the game, the Twins also activated Perkins from the 15-day disabled list, sent outfielder Brian Dinkelman outright to Triple-A Rochester, and optioned pitcher Chuck James to Rochester.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Jun 17 11:06 PM
- Ryan Ludwick two-out, three-run Home Run (9) to left scored Jason Bartlett and Chase Headley. Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 5, Twins 6 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 17 10:28 PM
- Chase Headley double to right scored Alberto Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 2, Twins 6 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 17 9:37 PM
- Ben Revere single to left scored Jason Repko with two out. On the play, Ben Revere advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Alexi Casilla due up.
Padres 1, Twins 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 17 9:22 PM
- Chase Headley double to right scored Chris Denorfia with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 1, Twins 5 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 17 9:01 PM
- Danny Valencia one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left scored Michael Cuddyer and Delmon Young. Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Padres 0, Twins 5 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 17 8:37 PM
- Michael Cuddyer ground-rule double to left scored Joe Mauer with one out. Runner on second and Delmon Young due up.
Padres 0, Twins 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 17 8:33 PM
- Joe Mauer single to center scored Alexi Casilla with one out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second on Cameron Maybin's throwing error. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Padres 0, Twins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 17 8:32 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 17 8:12 PM
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22