Schierholtz's 2nd homer lifts Giants over Padres in 14thJul 7, 2011 - 6:39 AM
Schierholtz also hit a two-run homer earlier in the game, while Pablo Sandoval added a game-tying, two-run double in the eighth inning for the Giants, who have 10 walk-off wins already this year.
Javier Lopez (4-1) tossed two perfect innings of relief to anchor a bullpen that combined to allow only two hits and two walks over eight shutout innings. San Francisco snapped a three-game losing streak with the win.
Padres reliever Ernesto Frieri shook off a leadoff double in the 12th and a pair of singles an inning later before Pat Neshek (1-1) took over in the 14th.
Schierholtz fended off a 1-2 fastball before bouncing one off the top of the wall and into McCovey Cove for the game-winner. It was the five-year veteran's first career multi-home run game.
San Diego had won the first two meetings of this four-game set by identical 5-3 scores and were leading by the same margin in the eighth before pulling starter Dustin Moseley with one on and one out. Brandon Crawford greeted Mike Adams with a single to move Andres Torres up, and Sandoval one-hopped the wall in center to score both runners for a tie game.
Sandoval, who extended his hit streak to 17, was left stranded, but the third baseman made a diving stop to end the top of the ninth and keep the score knotted. With two outs and runners on the corners, Sandoval went to his right on Ryan Ludwick's sharp ground ball, backhanded it and threw the runner out at first.
The Padres never trailed until the game was over, as Ludwick provided an early lead with a two-run double in the first inning.
Sandoval's RBI groundout in the bottom half made it 2-1, but Chase Headley's sacrifice fly in the third and Jesus Guzman's RBI double down the left-field line an inning later extended the Padres' cushion to 4-1.
Schierholtz smacked a two-out, two-run homer in the fourth to make it a one- run game again.
The Padres made it 5-3 in the sixth when Rob Johnson singled to knock in Orlando Hudson, who reached on a two-out base hit, stole second and advanced to third on Chris Stewart's errant throw.
The Giants improved to 8-5 in extra innings, while the Padres fell to 4-7...Giants pitchers recorded 19 strikeouts, compared to 17 for San Diego's...The game featured the two starters with the lowest run support average in the National League. Coming in, Moseley received 2.21 runs in his starts, slightly less than Madison Bumgarner's support of 2.74...Moseley recorded a career-high nine strikeouts and was charged with four runs on five hits in 7 1/3 innings. He bunted into a double play in a failed suicide squeeze attempt to end the second inning...Bumgarner surrendered five runs on nine hits over six innings for the Giants...Torres and Schierholtz each had three of San Francisco's 12 hits.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Jul 7 2:08 AM
- Nate Schierholtz lead off Home Run 2 (6) to right to end the game.
Padres 5, Giants 6 Bot 14, 0 OutsJul 7 2:08 AM
- Pablo Sandoval double to center scored Andres Torres and Brandon Crawford with one out. Runner on second and Aubrey Huff due up.
Padres 5, Giants 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 7 12:43 AM
- Rob Johnson single to center scored Orlando Hudson with two outs. Runner on first and Dustin Moseley due up.
Padres 5, Giants 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 6 11:42 PM
- Nate Schierholtz two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Pablo Sandoval. Aaron Rowand due up.
Padres 4, Giants 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 6 11:17 PM
- Jesus Guzman double to left scored Cameron Maybin with none out. Runner on second and Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 4, Giants 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 6 11:04 PM
- Chase Headley sacrifice fly to right scored Chris Denorfia with two outs. None on and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 3, Giants 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 6 10:52 PM
- Pablo Sandoval ground out second to first scored Andres Torres with two outs. None on and Aubrey Huff due up.
Padres 2, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 6 10:31 PM
- Ryan Ludwick double to center scored Jason Bartlett and Chase Headley with one out. Runner on second and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 2, Giants 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 6 10:21 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 6 10:15 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21