Dodgers walk to win over Stauffer, PadresAug 31, 2011 - 6:08 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Tim Stauffer was all over the place with his pitches in the second inning and that put the Padres in a giant hole against the Dodgers.
Andre Ethier belted a grand slam to cap the eight-run frame, one in which Stauffer walked a team-record six batters, on the way to an 8-5 Los Angeles victory Tuesday night.
Stauffer (8-11) walked three batters with the bases loaded. The right-hander threw just 25 of his 61 pitches for strikes before departing with two outs in the second inning and was officially charged with seven runs.
"From my vantage point, there were a lot of good pitches thrown," Padres manager Bud Black said. "He was trying to throw strikes, but he didn't do it. He's got good stuff. He had a rough game. He's one of the best pitchers in the National League. Tonight was extremely uncharacteristic."
Hiroki Kuroda (11-14) was the beneficiary of the big inning, as he allowed seven hits and four runs to win his fourth straight start, a career-high winning streak. His 11 wins tie a career-best, set last season.
The Dodgers, who won for the seventh time in eight games, are 7-1 over their last eight vs. San Diego.
"It was a walk in the park early, but it didn't feel like that at the end," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "We swung the bats well. Hiroki was good, but had a little struggle with his slider."
Kyle Blanks and Orlando Hudson hit back-to-back homers in the sixth inning for San Diego, which suffered its sixth straight defeat.
The Dodgers sent 13 men to the plate in the second. Ethier led off with a base hit and Aaron Miles walked. After A.J. Ellis fanned, Jamey Carroll walked. Kuroda then squared to bunt, but Stauffer's 3-2 offering was outside, giving LA its first run.
Justin Sellers followed with a sacrifice fly to center and Stauffer then walked three straight batters, including Matt Kemp and Juan Rivera with the bases full. In fact, he threw six straight pitches out of the strike zone.
Ethier was up next and he smacked Anthony Bass' first pitch over the wall in right for his third career grand slam.
"It was a fastball. I had good at-bats. We played a good game," Ethier said.
The six walks in the second surpassed the Padres team record of five set by Juan Eichelberger against the Cardinals on August 29, 1981 in the second game of a doubleheader.
Los Angeles actually had seven walks in the frame as Ellis drew one with two outs from Bass.
The Dodgers also displayed good defense in the fourth inning. Nick Hundley flied out to center field and Kemp cut down Jesus Guzman trying to score, as Ellis blocked the plate.
Blanks homered with Guzman and Jason Bartlett aboard in the sixth, and Hudson followed with his sixth of the season, a shot to right-center field.
Guzman doubled in Bartlett in the next inning, but Kenley Jansen and Javy Guerra combined to shut down the Padres over the final two frames. Guerra notched his 12th save.
The Padres recalled outfielder Blake Tekotte from Double-A San Antonio and optioned right-handed pitcher Erik Hamren to Triple-A Tucson...Kuroda is 8-4 lifetime against the Padres...The six walks allowed by Stauffer is one off the National League record for a single inning...Los Angeles is 10-4 vs. the Padres this year...The Padres issued 12 walks, one off a team record.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
LOS ANGELES: 8
Aug 31 1:18 AM
- Jesus Guzman doubled to center scored Jason Bartlett with two out. Runner on second and Kyle Blanks due up.
Padres 5, Dodgers 8 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 31 12:28 AM
- Orlando Hudson one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right center. Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 4, Dodgers 8 Top 6, 1 OutAug 31 12:06 AM
- Kyle Blanks one-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Jason Bartlett and Jesus Guzman. Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 3, Dodgers 8 Top 6, 1 OutAug 31 12:04 AM
- Andre Ethier two-out, Grand Slam (11) to right scored James Loney, Matt Kemp and Juan Rivera. Aaron Miles due up.
Padres 0, Dodgers 8 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 30 11:06 PM
- Hiroki Kuroda scored on the Juan Rivera walk with two out. Bases loaded and Andre Ethier due up.
Padres 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 30 11:03 PM
- Jamey Carroll scored on the Matt Kemp walk with two out. Bases loaded and Juan Rivera due up.
Padres 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 30 11:01 PM
- Justin Sellers sacrifice fly out to center scored Aaron Miles with two out. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on first and third with James Loney due up.
Padres 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 30 10:57 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21