Latos, Padres beat Rockies to snap skidSep 5, 2011 - 12:42 AM
Latos (7-13) gave up two runs on five hits while striking out eight and issuing only one walk. Joe Thatcher finished off the Rockies in the clean-up role in the top of the ninth to seal the win for San Diego.
"My curveball was really good today and later on in the game my slider got a little sharper," Latos said. "I was throwing them both for strikes."
Will Venable hit a three-run triple, Jeremy Hermida collected two hits and three RBI and Jesus Guzman picked up three hits for the Padres, who snapped a nine-game skid.
"It feels good. We come to the ball park every day wanting to win," Venable said. "When you don't it doesn't feel good. It's nice after that stretch to come away with a win."
Aaron Cook (3-9) worked six innings in defeat, yielding three runs on four hits while walking four and striking out two.
Mark Ellis and Seth Smith each drove in a run for the Rockies, who took two of three in the series.
The Padres drew first blood in their first at-bat when Orlando Hudson drew a two-out walk and Guzman singled to left to put runners on the corners. Hudson then trotted home on a single by Hermida to give San Diego a one-run advantage.
The Padres took a 3-0 lead in the third inning when Hudson was plunked by Cook with two outs and Guzman ripped a double to center to put runners on second and third. Hermida then drove home both runners with a sharp single up the middle.
Colorado got two back in the next half-inning when Dexter Fowler led off the frame with a triple off the wall in center field and scurried home on a groundout by Ellis. Troy Tulowitzki walked and Jason Giambi singled to right before Smith knocked home Tulowitzki with a single to center to make it a one- run contest.
"He's driving the ball. He's hitting the ball hard," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of Fowler's approach at the plate. "He had a very good series and had another very good day today. He created opportunities for us to score runs."
The Rockies had a fantastic opportunity to tie the game in the eighth inning. Fowler singled to begin the inning against Chad Qualls, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Ellis and advanced to third on a groundout by Carlos Gonzalez. The Rockies wasted the chance, however, as Qualls got Tulowitzki to ground out to shortstop to preserve the lead.
San Diego broke the game open in the home half of the inning, plating four runs to make it a 7-2 contest. Guzman singled, Andy Perrino was intentionally walked and Nick Hundley was plunked by Matt Lindstrom to load the bases with two down. Cameron Maybin, who was pinch-running for Guzman, crossed the plate with the first run of the inning when pinch-hitter Alberto Gonzalez cued a slow grounder to second that couldn't be handled by Ellis, and Venable cleared the bases when he rocketed a fastball from Lindstrom into the right-center field gap for the final margin.
Prior to Sunday's game, the Padres recalled infielders James Darnell and Anthony Rizzo from Triple-A Tucson..Tulowitzki came into Sunday's action with 36 doubles, good for second-most in the National League this season...Colorado won the season series with San Diego by a 9-6 count...Despite taking the loss Sunday, Cook is 7-2 in 13 career starts at Petco Park.
- COLORADO: 2
SAN DIEGO: 7
Sep 4 6:42 PM
- Will Venable triple to right center scored Andy Parrino, Nick Hundley and Alberto Gonzalez with two outs. Runner on third and Jason Bartlett due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 4 6:35 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Alberto Gonzalez reached first on Mark Ellis's fielding error, scoring Cameron Maybin with two outs. On the play, Nick Hundley advances to second and Andy Parrino advances to third. Bases loaded and Will Venable due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 4 6:34 PM
- Seth Smith single to center scored Troy Tulowitzki with two outs. On the play, Jason Giambi advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kevin Kouzmanoff due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 3 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 4 5:11 PM
- Mark Ellis ground out second to first scored Dexter Fowler with one out. None on and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 3 Top 4, 1 OutSep 4 5:06 PM
- Jeremy Hermida single to center scored Orlando Hudson and Jesus Guzman with two outs. Runner on first and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Rockies 0, Padres 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 4 4:55 PM
- Anthony Rizzo flied out to right to end the inning.
Rockies 0, Padres 1 End 1Sep 4 4:25 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 4 4:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22