Giants outlast Padres in 12Sep 14, 2011 - 6:36 AM
Cody Ross began the rally with a single up the middle off Brad Brach (0-2) and moved to second on a wild pitch. After Andres Torres popped out, Padres manager Bud Black chose to intentionally walk Carlos Beltran to put runners on first and second. Ross then moved to third on a fielder's choice by Pablo Sandoval, which brought DeRosa to the plate.
He ripped a line drive to second, which hit just off the top of the glove of Orlando Hudson and rolled into short right field, allowing Ross to trot home with the winning run.
Ramon Ramirez (3-3) tossed a scoreless top of the 12th to earn the win.
Sandoval finished 3-for-6 with an RBI and a run scored, Beltran had three hits and Ross added a pair for the Giants, who have won three straight but remain 8 1/2 games behind the NL West-leading Diamondbacks and 6 1/2 behind the wild- card leading Braves.
Jason Bartlett accounted for the Padres' only runs with a two-run double and Nick Hundley added two hits for San Diego, which has lost five of its last six.
Trailing 2-0, the Padres plated a pair of runs in the seventh. Pinch-hitter Kyle Blanks reached on a fielder's choice and Aaron Cunningham ripped a double into the left-field gap to give San Diego runners on second and third with two outs. Giants manager Bruce Bochy summoned Guillermo Mota from the bullpen to face Bartlett, who came through with a game-tying double.
San Diego got the go-ahead run into scoring position in the ninth against Sergio Romo when Hudson ripped a single to center and moved to second on a well-placed sacrifice bunt by James Darnell, but Romo fanned Blanks and pinch- hitter Jeremy Hermida to keep the game tied.
In the 11th, Chris Denorfia slapped a one-out single and stole second to get into scoring position with two outs. Darnell walked to put two men on for Blanks. The Padres were unable to capitalize however, as Blanks struck out to end the inning.
"Our bullpen did a really good job tonight," Bochy said. "We needed them."
San Francisco drew blood in their first at-bat. Ross beat out an infield single to start the frame and advanced to third on a double by Beltran. Ross then crossed the plate on a single to left by Sandoval to give the Giants the early lead.
San Diego put the tying run at third in the second inning when Hundley smacked a one-out single, stole second and moved to third on a groundout by Denorfia. Hundley was left there however, as Giants starter Matt Cain struck out Hudson to end the inning.
The Giants widened their lead with a run in the fourth to make it 2-0. Sandoval led off the frame with a single to left and Brett Pill slapped one back up the middle to put two men on with no outs. Following a strikeout from Orlando Cabrera, Justin Christian blooped a ball into center field to plate Sandoval. San Francisco had a chance to tack on further with runners on second and third and one down, but Eli Whiteside fouled out and Cain struck out to end the inning.
The Giants are 3-2 on their current six-game homestand...San Diego leads the majors in stolen bases with 160...Cain worked 6 1/3 innings, allowing one run on four hits while fanning six and walking three...Padres starter Corey Luebke gave up two runs on 10 hits over six innings while striking out eight without walking a batter...Romo extended his scoreless streak to 18 2/3 innings.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Sep 14 2:06 AM
- Mark DeRosa singled to center scored Cody Ross with two out to end the game.
Padres 2, Giants 3 Bot 12, 2 OutsSep 14 2:05 AM
- Jason Bartlett doubled to center scored Kyle Blanks and Aaron Cunningham. Runner on second with two outs and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 2, Giants 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 14 12:27 AM
- Matt Cain struck out swinging to end the inning.
Padres 0, Giants 2 End 4Sep 13 11:25 PM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to left scored Cody Ross. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Brett Pill due up.
Padres 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 13 10:30 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 13 10:15 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21