Beltran homers Giants to sweep of PadresSep 15, 2011 - 5:13 AM
Tim Lincecum (13-12) settled down to earn his first win in three weeks after giving up an unearned run in the first inning. He yielded four hits and two walks while striking out six over seven innings.
Mark DeRosa added a pinch-hit RBI single for the Giants, who earned their first sweep of San Diego in a series of at least three games since August 22-24, 2008. It was their first sweep this season since June 24-26 versus Cleveland.
San Francisco has won four in a row for the first time since July 9-15 but remained 6 1/2 games behind Atlanta in the NL wild card race. The Giants are 7 1/2 games in back of NL West-leading Arizona.
Jesus Guzman hit an RBI double for San Diego in the first inning after Aubrey Huff's error at first base.
"We made a mistake in the first inning and they got a two-out hit, but [Lincecum] had great stuff," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "He could have gone a little further, but we've been working him pretty hard."
The Padres have lost six of seven and fell to just 3-17 in their last 20 games.
Beltran knocked an 0-1 slider from Padres starter Mat Latos (7-14) into the seats above right field in the bottom of the first inning to tie the game at 1-1.
It remained tied until Beltran's 20th homer of the season, and No. 300 of his career, splashed down in McCovey Cove with one out in the sixth for a 2-1 lead.
"It means a lot to me," Beltran said of his milestone.
In the seventh, Brandon Belt led off with a double and pinch-runner Andres Torres went to third on Brandon Crawford's single. Pinch-hitting for Lincecum, DeRosa gave the Giants a 3-1 edge with a hard-hit grounder that shortstop Alberto Gonzalez couldn't handle, deflecting into the outfield.
Bochy told Lincecum he would come out if the Giants had a chance to score another run.
"He's been working hard enough," Bochy said about lifting the right-hander for DeRosa.
Latos fell to 2-6 in his last 14 starts dating back to July 3 after giving up seven hits and a walk in seven innings. He struck out eight.
"It was a good matchup," said Padres manager Bud Black, "Lincecum just out- pitched him and Beltran had a good day."
Giants went 12-6 against the Padres this season...DeRosa had a game-winning single in the 12th inning on Tuesday...Lincecum had been 0-2 in his previous three starts...The Giants went 4-2 in a six-game homestand and are headed out on 10-game road trip starting with four games at Colorado...The Padres went 1-6 on a seven-game road trip and are headed home for a three-game series against the Diamondbacks starting Friday.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Sep 14 6:06 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark DeRosa single to center scored Andres Torres with one out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to third. Runners on first and third and Cody Ross due up.
Padres 1, Giants 3 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 14 5:35 PM
- Carlos Beltran one-out, solo Home Run 2 (20) to right. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Padres 1, Giants 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 14 5:13 PM
- Carlos Beltran two-out, solo Home Run (19) to right. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Padres 1, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 14 4:02 PM
- Jesus Guzman double to right scored Cameron Maybin with two outs. Runner on second and James Darnell due up.
Padres 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 14 3:53 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 14 3:46 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21