Luebke, Padres one-hit RockiesSep 20, 2011 - 4:46 AM
Luebke (6-9) took a no-hitter into the sixth inning before having it broken up on a two-run home run by Mark Ellis. That turned out to be Colorado's only hit. Luebke struck out nine and walked three. Ernesto Frieri pitched the final two innings.
"There was still a lot of game to go yet," Luebke said of his no-hit bid. "There's still 10, 11 outs to go so you don't think about it until you get to that last inning or so."
Cameron Maybin and Aaron Cunningham clubbed two-run home runs in the fourth inning and Jason Bartlett added a pair of RBI for the Padres. Luebke also helped his own cause with two hits.
Kevin Millwood (3-3) was roughed up in 3 1/3 innings, giving up seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits for the Rockies, losers of five straight.
"His pitches were up, his fastball was up, he couldn't really locate his fast ball like he has done so consistently for us," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "His breaking ball feel tonight wasn't where we've seen it be since he showed up, and as a result, they took advantage of it."
Kyle Blanks and Orlando Hudson singled to begin the San Diego second and Jeremy Hermida followed with another single up the middle to bring home Blanks, giving the Padres the early lead.
They poured it on from there.
San Diego added two more runs in the third. Maybin reached on a fielder's choice, stole second and came around to score on a single by Bartlett. Nick Hundley then reached on a fielder's choice and moved to second on a passed ball before Blanks knocked him in with a single to left.
A pair of two-run homers by Cunningham and Maybin in the fourth put the Padres ahead by a comfortable 7-0 margin.
Maybin cracked a triple into the gap in right-center field with one out in the sixth and waltzed home on a sacrifice fly by Bartlett to push the San Diego advantage to 8-0.
Colorado got on the board in the home half of the inning when Luebke walked Eric Young Jr. with one out then had his no-hit bid ended as Ellis crushed a 3-1 fastball over the wall in dead center field to account for the final margin.
Hermida connected on his first triple of the season in the fifth...Colorado leads the season series, 9-7...It was only the fourth time in the history of Coors Field that the Rockies have been held to one hit or less.
- SAN DIEGO: 8
Sep 19 11:11 PM
- Mark Ellis two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Eric Young Jr. to break up Cory Luebke's no-hit bid. Jason Giambi due up.
Padres 8, Rockies 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 19 10:32 PM
- Jason Bartlett sacrifice fly out to right scored Cameron Maybin with two out. None on and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 8, Rockies 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 19 10:22 PM
- Nick Hundley fouled out to second to end the inning.
Padres 7, Rockies 0 Mid 4Sep 19 9:51 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Cory Luebke due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 19 9:44 PM
- Kevin Millwood struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Eric Young Jr. due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 0 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 19 9:36 PM
- Jason Bartlett single to left scored Cameron Maybin with one out. On the play, Jason Bartlett advanced to second on Eric Young Jr.'s throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 19 9:27 PM
- Jeremy Hermida single to center scored Kyle Blanks with none out. On the play, Orlando Hudson advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Aaron Cunningham due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 19 9:06 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22