Four-run first propels Padres over RockiesSep 22, 2011 - 12:11 AM
Chase Headley, Alberto Gonzalez, Anthony Rizzo and Andy Parrino each had an RBI for the Padres, who have won five of their last six.
"We were jumping on him pretty early. We faced him a few times, now we faced him the last time at home, so, we kind of knew what he was going to do," Rizzo said about Colorado starting pitcher Aaron Cook.
Bass (2-0), in his second career major league start, gave up two hits while walking one and fanning one.
Heath Bell stranded runners at second and third in the ninth to record his 41st save of the season.
Cook (3-10) was tagged with the loss after allowing four runs on six hits over five innings.
Dexter Fowler went 2-for-4 with a double for the Rockies, who went 0-7 in their final homestand of the season.
It marked the first time in club history that the Rockies dropped seven consecutive games at Coors Field.
"I don't have any more words to commend their loyalty, it's unbelievable. And I feel like to a certain extent we let them down, and that hurts more than you can possibly imagine," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
The Padres got to Cook early, as Cameron Maybin's double, Jeremy Hermida's walk and Chris Denorfia's bunt single loaded the bases with no outs in the first.
Headley's sac fly pushed a run across and Luis Martinez followed with a walk to again load the bases. Gonzalez hit a sac fly before singles by Rizzo and Parrino made it a 4-0 game.
Bass, on the other hand, was in control. He carried a no-hitter through three innings, worked around Fowler's two-out double in the fourth and induced Kevin Kouzmanoff into a 1-4-3 double play following Jordan Pacheco's one-out single in the fifth.
He was relieved by Ernesto Frieri after Chris Iannetta's leadoff walk in the bottom of the sixth. Eric Young ripped a one-out single to place runners at the corners. He then stole second, but Frieri retired Mark Ellis and Fowler to escape.
Luke Gregerson tossed a scoreless seventh and Chad Qualls held the Rockies off the board in the eighth.
Joe Thatcher allowed singles to Young and Fowler in the ninth before Bell entered with one out and put Ty Wigginton and Seth Smith down on strikes to end the game.
Bass' only other career start came against the Rockies, on June 13 of this season. He earned the win in that start as well, allowing one run over five innings in the Padres' 3-1 victory... The Padres and Rockies split the season series, 9-9...Colorado's franchise record for consecutive home losses is nine games, set in the Rockies inaugural season in 1993. They played their home games in Mile High Stadium that year. They finished their 2011 home schedule with a mark of 38-43. They play a four-game series in Houston followed by a three-game set in San Francisco to finish the season...San Diego went 36-45 on the road this season and host Los Angeles and Chicago for three-game sets to close out the season.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
Sep 21 5:40 PM
- Andy Parrino singled to left scoring Luis Martinez. On the play, Anthony Rizzo advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Anthony Bass due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 21 3:21 PM
- Anthony Rizzo singled to center scoring Chris Denorfia. On the play, Luis Martinez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Andy Parrino due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 21 3:20 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez sacrifice fly to left scored Jeremy Hermida. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 21 3:19 PM
- Luis Martinez walked. Bases loaded with one out and Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 21 3:17 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 3:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22