Lilly, Dodgers shut out PadresSep 24, 2011 - 6:46 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Ted Lilly threw 6 1/3 innings and Matt Kemp homered on his 27th birthday as the Los Angeles Dodgers turned back San Diego, 2-0, to start a three-game series.
Lilly (11-14) allowed four hits and fanned seven to move to 10-4 lifetime against the Padres.
Mike MacDougal, Kenley Jansen and Javy Guerra combined on the four-hit shutout. Guerra notched his 20th save in the Dodgers' sixth victory in seven games.
Wade LeBlanc (4-6) surrendered four hits and had a career-high 10 strikeouts over seven innings, but the Padres couldn't build on their three-game sweep in Colorado.
"I don't think his velocity wavered through seven innings," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Jerry Sands doubled leading off the second and scored on a Russ Mitchell groundout.
San Diego left a runner in scoring position in the third and fourth frames, and Kemp went deep to right leading off the seventh. Kemp's homer was his 37th, tying him with St. Louis' Albert Pujols for the National League lead.
Kemp is actually nearing possibly winning the Triple Crown. His 119 RBI leads the NL, but his .326 average is three points shy of New York's Jose Reyes and Milwaukee's Ryan Braun.
"I just have to relax, not try to hit home runs and try too hard," said Kemp, who is trying to become the first Triple Crown winner since Boston's Carl Yastrzemski in 1967. "I just relax and have fun. What ever happens is going to happen."
Cameron Maybin struck out looking to strand a pair of runners in the bottom half, but the Padres never mounted a late threat and struck out 12 times on the night.
Over the last seven games, Padres pitchers have allowed just nine earned runs...Sands extended his career-high hitting streak to 11 games...Dee Gordon extended his career-high hit streak to 10 games with a bunt single in the sixth for LA.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
SAN DIEGO: 0
Sep 24 12:49 AM
- Matt Kemp lead-off Home Run (37) to right. Jerry Sands due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 0 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 23 11:50 PM
- Aaron Cunningham popped out to first. None on with two outs and Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 23 10:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 10:08 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21