Peavy throws 8 shutout innings, White Sox blank TwinsAug 7, 2011 - 9:55 PM
Peavy (5-5) scattered three hits and fanned six without walking a batter to pick up the win in his first career start in Minnesota.
"I threw 10-12 changeups and just changed speeds, from 70 to around 90," Peavy said. "I threw some cutters and breaking balls and was aggressive. I can't stand putting people on base so it makes a world of difference when you get a lead early. We came in here and gave ourselves a chance to stay in the division race."
Alexei Ramirez, Paul Konerko, Alex Rios and Brent Lillibridge all smacked home runs while Carlos Quentin added two doubles for the Sox, who have won five in a row on the road.
Brian Duensing (8-10) lasted 6 1/3 innings in a losing effort. He yielded five runs -- four earned -- on nine hits while fanning four and walking one for the Twins, who have lost seven of their last eight games.
Joe Mauer and Ben Revere smacked doubles while Matt Tolbert and Tsuyoshi Nishioka had singles for Minnesota's four hits.
Chicago opened the scoring in the second inning courtesy of a two-out solo homer by Lillibridge, his ninth of the season, and cruised from there.
"We haven't even come close to winning series let alone sweeping series, so it's nice to get some wins after a big losing streak," Lillibridge said. Timely hitting has been huge for us."
The White Sox added three runs in the fourth to make it a 4-0 game. Konerko led off the inning with a blast into the second deck for his 26th home run of the season, while Quentin doubled and scored on the ensuing double by Rios. After Lillibridge fouled out, Gordon Beckham reached on a throwing error by Duensing and Tyler Flowers walked to load the bases with one out. Brett Morel then grounded into a fielder's choice, allowing Rios to score.
Morel led off the seventh with a double to right and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Juan Pierre to give the White Sox a runner on third with one out. Ramirez then battled Twins reliever Alex Burnett for 11 pitches before belting a 3-2 fastball into the seats in left to give the Sox a 6-0 lead.
Rios gave the White Sox their 7-0 advantage in the seventh by greeting Jose Mijares with a long blast to left field for his seventh homer of the season.
The Twins only got two runners to second base on the doubles by Mauer and Revere and were shut out for the eighth time this season.
"I think it's just frustrating when you're not winning games regardless of what point in the season you're at," Twins infielder Danny Valencia said. "Getting swept by the White Sox wasn't ideal. We just have to bounce back. I know were a good team. It's frustrating when you don't get the results you want."
Twins designated hitter Jim Thome had his 10-game hitting streak snapped. He is two home runs shy of 600 for his career...Prior to Sunday's game, the Twins held an on-field ceremony to honor the late Kirby Puckett...Minnesota is 33-48 against right-handed starters this season...Pierre extended his hitting streak to eight games...The Twins lead the season series against the White Sox 7-4...Mauer ripped his eighth double of the year in the first inning...It was Ramirez's 11th home run of the year...Lillibridge has homered in back-to-back games...The White Sox have not completed a sweep of the Twins in Minnesota since July 2004.
- CHICAGO: 7
Aug 7 4:44 PM
- Brent Lillibridge flied out to center. None on with one out and Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 7, Twins 0 Top 8, 1 OutAug 7 4:17 PM
- Paul Konerko grounded out to first. None on with two outs and Carlos Quentin due up.
White Sox 6, Twins 0 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 7 4:06 PM
- Brent Morel grounded into a fielder's choice second to short scoring Alex Rios with two out. Tyler Flowers out at second. Gordon Beckham advances to third. Runners on first and third and Juan Pierre due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 7 3:15 PM
- Brent Lillibridge bunt fouled out to catcher. Runner on second with one out and Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 3, Twins 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 7 3:07 PM
- Carlos Quentin doubled to center. Runner on second with none out and Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 2, Twins 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 7 3:03 PM
- Brent Lillibridge two-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 7 2:34 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 2:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22