Cruz, Young, Napoli homer in Rangers winMay 1, 2011 - 1:00 AM
Colby Lewis (2-3) allowed two runs and scattered six hits and one walk through eight innings as Texas snapped a two-game slide.
Brett Anderson (2-2) was beat up for seven runs on nine hits in five innings of work. He walked four and struck out three for Oakland, which has lost three of five.
"That was probably the worst stuff I've ever had dating back to high school. It was terrible. It was almost embarrassing, even comical how bad it was," Anderson said of his performance.
Kurt Suzuki hit a solo home run in the second and Josh Willingham led off the fourth with a homer to account for two runs.
Adrian Beltre doubled to score Elvis Andrus in the first after Andrus walked, moved to second on a Young groundout, and stole third.
Young's two-run shot to left field in the third made the score 3-1.
Young and Beltre led off the fifth with singles and then Cruz hammered a low and inside fastball over the left field wall that curved around the foul pole. Napoli followed with a bomb to center field to make the score 7-2 in favor of Texas.
"Today we came in strong and Colby threw the ball very well. That's what we expect from him, and we supported with a couple runs. That's what we need," said Cruz.
Ian Kinsler hit a double in the eighth to plate David Murphy and give the Rangers their eighth run.
Yorvit Torrealba's two-run double with the bases loaded and Julio Borbon's RBI single in the ninth completed the rout.
The Rangers are now 7-10 in their last 17 games after opening the season 9-1...Texas has 25 hits over the last two games against Oakland...Lewis threw 71 of his 109 pitches for strikes.
- TEXAS: 11
Apr 30 6:42 PM
- Julio Borbon singled to left scored David Murphy. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 11, Athletics 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 30 6:31 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba doubled to right scored Adrian Beltre and Mike Napoli. Runners on second and third with two outs and Julio Borbon due up.
Rangers 10, Athletics 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 30 6:30 PM
- Ian Kinsler doubled to left scored David Murphy. Runner on second with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 8, Athletics 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 30 6:07 PM
- Mike Napoli none out, solo Home Run (6) to center. David Murphy due up.
Rangers 7, Athletics 2 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 30 5:24 PM
- Nelson Cruz none-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Michael Young and Adrian Beltre. Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 6, Athletics 2 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 30 5:23 PM
- Hideki Matsui grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Rangers 3, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 30 5:14 PM
- Michael Young none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 3, Athletics 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 30 4:50 PM
- Kurt Suzuki one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Kevin Kouzmanoff due up.
Rangers 1, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 30 4:42 PM
- Adrian Beltre doubled to left scored Elvis Andrus. Runner on second with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 30 4:12 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 4:06 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22