Rangers run streak to 12 with another shutoutJul 20, 2011 - 6:18 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - The Rangers' shutdown express continued Tuesday night, this time with Alexi Ogando turning in eight innings in a 7-0 win over the Angels, locking up Texas' 12th consecutive victory.
Ogando (10-3) allowed four hits and Darren Oliver closed it out for the Rangers, who are the first team in the majors to win 12 in a row since the 2006 Boston Red Sox. They've allowed just two runs in the last 56 innings.
"Alexi throws 97 mph," Rangers catcher Mike Napoli said. "When he throws strikes, he's pretty effective. He was impressive tonight. He executes."
Endy Chavez belted a two-run homer, and Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre clubbed back-to-back long balls in the ninth inning for the Rangers, who have the second-longest winning streak in Texas history. The team record of 14 was set during the 1991 season.
It was the fifth shutout thrown by the Rangers in the last nine games. The AL West leaders moved five games clear of the Angels in the division.
Tyler Chatwood (5-6) yielded seven hits and three runs over five innings to take the loss in the opener of this three-game series.
Mark Trumbo doubled twice for the Angels, losers of three in a row. They lost for just the third time in their last 14 home games.
"Since we've come out of the break, it's tough to get going," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "I like our team. We need to get better."
It was an emotional return for Napoli to Angel Stadium. He was originally drafted by the Angels in 2000 and was in the organization for 11 years.
"Napoli did a good job of making Alexi use all his pitches," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "We put five runs on the board with two outs. That was huge. Tonight was another night of pitching well and getting big hits."
On the other side, Torii Hunter continued his incredible second-half slump. The Angels right fielder went 0-for-3 and fanned three times. He's hitless in his first 18 at-bats to start the post All-Star break.
Hamilton, who had three hits to pace Texas' 13-hit attack, doubled to left field with two outs in the opening inning and scored on a Beltre two-bagger to left.
The Angels wasted a chance with two runners in scoring position in the third when Bobby Abreu grounded out to end the inning.
Texas widened the lead in the fourth when Ian Kinsler singled to right to drive in Napoli, who had a two-hit night. Chavez was caught trying to steal home to end the inning.
Michael Young singled to right to knock in Elvis Andrus in the fifth and the Rangers tacked on two runs in the eighth on Chavez's fourth homer of the season. The shot, which came with Napoli on base, was off Michael Kohn.
Hamilton and Beltre slammed Kohn for two mammoth homers to center field with no outs in the ninth.
Ogando won his third straight start...The start of the game was delayed as the Angels inducted original owner Gene Autry in their Hall of Fame...Texas has outscored its opponents 77-24 during the winning streak...Prior to the game, the Rangers acquired infielder Nick Green and unspecified cash considerations from Baltimore in exchange for pitcher Zach Phillips...Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan was released from the hospital Tuesday. He was hospitalized in Houston after experiencing discomfort early Sunday morning at his home in Georgetown, Texas...The last major league team to win more than 12 in a row was in 2002 when the Oakland Athletics won an American League-record 20 straight between August 13 and September 4.
- TEXAS: 7
LOS ANGELES: 0
Jul 20 1:30 AM
- Adrian Beltre Home Run (20) to center. Michael Young due up.
Rangers 7, Angels 0 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 20 1:16 AM
- Josh Hamilton lead-off Home Run (13) to center. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 6, Angels 0 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 20 1:12 AM
- Endy Chavez two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Mike Napoli. Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 5, Angels 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 20 12:57 AM
- Michael Young singled to right scored Elvis Andrus with two out. Runner on first and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 20 12:03 AM
- Ian Kinsler singled to right scored Mike Napoli with two out. On the play, Endy Chavez advances to third. Runners on first and third with Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 19 11:45 PM
- Adrian Beltre doubled to left scored Josh Hamilton with two out. Runner on second and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 19 10:34 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 19 10:27 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22