Cruz drives in eight runs as Rangers destroy Blue JaysJul 23, 2011 - 4:28 AM
Colby Lewis (10-7) took a no-hitter into the sixth inning until J.P. Arencibia led off the frame with the first of his two homers. Lewis allowed just two hits and fanned five batters to win his fifth straight decision. He hasn't lost since June 11 at Minnesota.
Adrian Beltre added a pair of hits and scored twice, but the Rangers third baseman left Friday's game in the fifth inning with a strained left hamstring. He'll have an MRI Saturday.
Michael Young also had a 4-for-4 night, scoring four times and knocking in a run for the Rangers, who snapped a two-game skid.
The Blue Jays, who totaled three hits, had a three-game winning streak broken. Jo-Jo Reyes (5-8) surrendered eight hits and eight runs over 4 1/3 innings, while Shawn Camp gave up five hits and four runs in 1 2/3 frames.
Cruz's performance left him one RBI shy of the Texas Rangers record, set by Ivan Rodriguez during a 15-6 win over Seattle on April 13, 1999. It was a huge turnaround for Cruz, considering he was hitting .186 over his previous 12 games.
He doubled in Beltre in the second inning and Mike Napoli followed with an RBI groundout.
Beltre doubled in the fourth and Young singled, leading to Cruz's 22nd homer of the year, a shot to center.
Beltre headed from first to third on a double to left by Young in the fifth. When he pulled up to third, Beltre grabbed his hamstring before walking off the field with Rangers manager Ron Washington at his side.
Texas then widened the lead when Cruz's single off Camp to center plated two more runs for an 8-0 cushion.
The Rangers continued to pour it on in the sixth. They loaded the bases with one out before Craig Gentry scored on an Omar Quintanilla force play grounder. Young singled in a run and Cruz capped the four-run frame with a two-run single to center.
Arencibia homered in the eighth inning off Arthur Rhodes.
Rangers starting pitcher Brandon Webb, who has made one major league appearance since 2008, has elected to have rotator cuff surgery on his injured right shoulder. Webb will have the season-ending procedure August 1 by Dr. Keith Meister...Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar had reached base safely in a career-high 25 consecutive contests until Friday when he went 0-for-4.
- TORONTO: 2
Jul 22 10:49 PM
- Yunel Escobar flied out to right. None on with one out and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 12 Top 8, 1 OutJul 22 10:32 PM
- Nelson Cruz single to center scored Omar Quintanilla and Michael Young with two out. Runner on first and Mike Napoli due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 12 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 22 10:09 PM
- Michael Young single to right scored Ian Kinsler with two out. On the play, Michael Young advances to second on Eric Thames's fielding error. Omar Quintanilla advances to third. Runners on second and third and Nelson Cruz due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 22 10:08 PM
- Omar Quintanilla grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Craig Gentry with two out. Josh Hamilton out at second. Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on first and third and Michael Young due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 22 10:05 PM
- J.P. Arencibia lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 8 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 22 9:47 PM
- Mike Napoli grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. On the play, Nelson Cruz out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rangers 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 22 9:41 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to right scored Elvis Andrus with one out. Runner on first and Michael Young due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rangers 6 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 22 9:34 PM
- Nelson Cruz none-out, three-run Home Run (22) to left center scored Adrian Beltre and Michael Young. Mike Napoli due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rangers 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 22 9:13 PM
- Craig Gentry flied out to center to end the inning.
Blue Jays 0, Rangers 2 End 2Jul 22 8:45 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 8:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22