Young vaults Rangers to walkoff winJul 24, 2011 - 3:55 AM
Josh Hamilton collected three hits, including an RBI triple while Nelson Cruz added an RBI double for the Rangers, who have won the first two games of the series.
Darren Oliver (3-5) worked 1/3 of an inning to earn the win, while Marc Rzepczynski (2-3) was charged with two runs -- one earned -- and a walk to absorb the loss. Jon Rauch suffered his fourth blown save of the season.
J.P Arencibia smacked a home run while Eric Thames collected an RBI triple for the Jays, who have lost back-to-back games after winning three in a row.
Mike Napoli led off the ninth with a walk and Mitch Moreland reached on an error by Rzepczynski to put runners on first and second. Rauch then entered the game to face Ian Kinsler, who laid down a sacrifice bunt to put runners on second and third with one out. Elvis Andrus followed with a suicide squeeze to score the tying run. Hamilton came up next and was intentionally walked, setting the stage for Young's walk-off heroics.
Earlier, Toronto opened the scoring with a run in its first at-bat. Yunel Escobar led off the game by reaching on an error by Andrus but was erased trying to steal second. Thames followed with a one-out double, and Adam Lind ripped an RBI double two batters later.
Kinsler smacked a one-out double to left in the third and came around to score two batters later on a triple by Hamilton to knot the game at one.
David Murphy slapped a one-out single in the fourth, stole second and scored on a single by Chris Davis to give the Rangers a 2-1 lead.
The Rangers extended their lead to 3-1 in the fifth. Hamilton laced a one-out single to left, stole second and scored on a double by Cruz.
Toronto came back to take the lead in the sixth, plating three runs. Arencibia led off the inning by blasting his 15th homer of the season deep into the seats in left. Escobar followed with a double and scored on a triple by Thames. Jose Bautista followed with an RBI single to give the Blue Jays a 4-3 advantage.
Prior to Saturday's game, the Rangers placed third baseman Adrian Beltre on the 15-day DL and recalled Davis from Round Rock...Hamilton stole his sixth base of the season in the fifth inning...Thames crushed his third triple of the season in the sixth...Toronto is 10-8 against the AL West, while Texas is 15-12 against AL East opposition...It was Young's seventh career walkoff hit...Blue Jays starter Carlos Villanueva gave up three runs on 10 hits over 5 2/3 innings while fanning one and walking none...Rangers starter Matt Harrison went 6 2/3 innings, giving up four runs on eight hits while fanning eight and walking none.
- TORONTO: 4
Jul 23 11:18 PM
- Michael Young Walk-Off singled to right scored Craig Gentry. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second to end the game.
Blue Jays 4, Rangers 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 23 11:18 PM
- Elvis Andrus sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Mike Napoli. On the play, Craig Gentry advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Blue Jays 4, Rangers 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 23 11:14 PM
- Jose Bautista singled to right scored Eric Thames. Runner on first with none out and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 4, Rangers 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 23 9:50 PM
- Eric Thames tripled to right scored Yunel Escobar. Runner on third with none out and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 3, Rangers 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 23 9:48 PM
- J.P. Arencibia lead-off Home Run (15) to left. Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 23 9:44 PM
- David Murphy lined out to center to end the inning.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 3 End 5Jul 23 9:41 PM
- Mitch Moreland singled to right. On the play, Chris Davis advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 23 9:20 PM
- Josh Hamilton tripled to center scored Ian Kinsler. Runner on third with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 23 9:01 PM
- Adam Lind doubled to right scored Eric Thames. Runner on second with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 23 8:15 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22