Cecil shines as Blue Jays blank RangersJul 25, 2011 - 3:27 AM
Cecil (3-4) allowed just one runner past first base in a brilliant performance. The left-hander scattered four hits and two walks while fanning seven for Toronto, which had won three in a row before losing the first two games of this series.
Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and Travis Snider each doubled in a run in the sixth inning off Alexi Ogando.
Ogando (10-4) was on the losing end of his quality start, yielding three runs on seven hits in 6 2/3 innings.
The Rangers had won 14 of 16 coming in, nine in a row at home and scored 35 runs over Ogando's previous three outings.
There was no support against Cecil, however, as Texas had only one baserunner in scoring position the entire game. That came in the eighth when Craig Gentry led off with a single and advanced to second on a flyout.
Cecil retired Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus to maintain the 3-0 lead, then worked around Nelson Cruz's two-out single in the ninth to finish off his two- hour, 18-minute gem.
Bautista struck out with runners on the corners in the third, the only time in the first five innings either team had a runner past first base.
Bautista atoned for the missed opportunity in the sixth though, doubling to the left-center field gap to score Yunel Escobar from first base. Following an Adam Lind flyout, Encarnacion and Snider each tacked on run-scoring doubles for a 3-0 cushion.
Cecil had given up 15 runs over seven innings in his previous two starts against Texas. He threw 77 of his 121 pitches for strikes. His only other complete game came in a loss against Boston on July 5...Ogando had a three- start win streak snapped...Escobar had three of Toronto's eight hits...The Rangers were shut out at home for the first time since August 28, 2010 vs. Oakland...The 105-degree temperature at first pitch matches the hottest ever at Rangers Ballpark.
- TORONTO: 3
Jul 24 10:27 PM
- Travis Snider double to right scored Edwin Encarnacion with two outs. Runner on second and Aaron Hill due up.
Blue Jays 3, Rangers 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 24 9:30 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion double to left center scored Jose Bautista with two outs. Runner on second and Travis Snider due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 24 9:28 PM
- Adam Lind flied out to center. On the play, Jose Bautista advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 24 9:26 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22