Rangers score 20, crush TwinsJul 26, 2011 - 6:49 AM
Ian Kinsler led the offensive barrage, smacking a home run and a double among his four hits and four RBI. Michael Young belted a home run and finished with three RBI while Josh Hamilton and Endy Chavez also drove in three runs.
Nelson Cruz had four hits and knocked in two runs, and Omar Quintanilla ripped a triple to contribute to the batting clinic for the Rangers, who had seven of their starting nine finish with at least three hits in the opener of this three-game series.
"We came out with a lot of energy but you never expect to have a game go this way," Young said. "When you have a game like this you need to remind yourself what it's like to be on the other end."
The AL West leaders have won 15 of their last 18 games. Amazingly, the Rangers were shut out in their previous game on Sunday against the Toronto Blue Jays. The 20 runs are the most scored by the Rangers at the Ballpark in Arlington.
Derek Holland (9-4) went six innings in the blowout, giving up one run on six hits while fanning four and not issuing a walk.
Michael Cuddyer collected one hit and came on to pitch a scoreless eighth inning for Minnesota, becoming the first position player to pitch in a Twins uniform since John Moses in 1990.
"I've been lobbying for years," Cuddyer said of his chance to pitch. "Obviously the circumstances weren't fun, but it was fun being out there."
Jason Kubel smacked a home run and Trevor Plouffe added an RBI double for the Twins, who have dropped four of their last five contests.
Nick Blackburn (7-7) was shelled in 2 2/3 innings, giving up nine runs -- six earned -- on 11 hits.
Texas plated three runs in its first at-bat and pummeled Minnesota from then on. Elvis Andrus reached with an infield single and Hamilton smacked a double to left for an RBI. Young followed with a deep drive over the wall in right for a 3-0 lead.
Minnesota threatened in the second. Cuddyer and Kubel slapped back-to-back singles to give the Twins men on first and second with no outs. Cuddyer then advanced to third on a Danny Valencia fly out, but Holland escaped trouble by getting Delmon Young to ground into a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.
Chavez singled to lead off the Rangers second inning and came around to score on a double by Kinsler, who advanced to third on a wild throw. One out later, Hamilton laced an RBI double and Young smacked a single to cap the scoring in the frame and give the Rangers a 6-0 advantage.
Texas extended its lead to 9-0 in the third when Kinsler launched his 16th home run into the bleachers in left field.
Minnesota got on the board in the fourth when Alexi Casilla scored on Cuddyer's double-play groundout, but the Rangers added five more runs in the bottom half, highlighted by a Mitch Moreland two-run double.
Texas added another four runs in the fifth to push its lead to 18-1 on a two- run single by Chavez and a two-run double from Andrus.
Minnesota picked up a second run when Tsuyoshi Nishioka reached on an error by Chris Davis which allowed Valencia to score.
Texas added two more on a triple by Quintanilla and a double by Cruz, giving the Rangers a 20-2 lead.
The Twins got three back in the eighth on a two-run shot by Kubel and an RBI double by Plouffe. Minnesota scored its final run in the ninth when Cuddyer reached on an error by Rangers closer Neftali Feliz, allowing Jason Repko to score.
Texas is 3-1 on its current seven-game homestand...Young's home run in the opening inning was his ninth of the season...This is the 51st game this season in which the Rangers finished with 10 or more hits...Valencia hit his 20th double of the season in the eighth inning....Texas collected 43 total bases, the highest total in the majors this season...It was Young's 17th three-hit game of the season...20 runs is the third highest single-game total in Rangers franchise history...Texas scored at least 10 runs for the 12th time this season...Texas' seven players with at least three hits established a new club record, the previous high was six players in a 30-3 romp over the Baltimore Orioles on August 22, 2007.
- MINNESOTA: 6
Jul 25 11:32 PM
- Michael Cuddyer reached first on Neftali Feliz's fielding error, scoring Jason Repko with two outs. Runner on first and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 6, Rangers 20 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 25 11:30 PM
- Trevor Plouffe double to left center scored Danny Valencia with two outs. Runner on second and Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Twins 5, Rangers 20 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 25 11:09 PM
- Drew Butera flied out to right. Runner on second with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 20 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 25 11:07 PM
- Nelson Cruz double to center scored Omar Quintanilla with two outs. Runner on second and Chris Davis due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 20 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 25 10:55 PM
- Omar Quintanilla triple to center scored Elvis Andrus with two outs. Runner on third and Nelson Cruz due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 19 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 25 10:54 PM
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka reached first on Chris Davis's fielding error, scoring Danny Valencia with one out. Runners on first and second and Jason Repko due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 18 Top 7, 1 OutJul 25 10:45 PM
- Elvis Andrus double to center scored Mitch Moreland and Endy Chavez with one out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 18 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 25 10:11 PM
- Phil Dumatrait enters the game for the Twins with runners on first and second with one out.
Twins 1, Rangers 16 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 25 10:05 PM
- Josh Hamilton sacrifice fly to center scored Endy Chavez with two outs. Runners on first and second and and Michael Young due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 14 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 25 9:41 PM
- Elvis Andrus reached first Jose Mijares's fielding error. Ian Kinsler advances to second and Endy Chavez advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 13 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 9:38 PM
- Endy Chavez infield single to short deflected by the pitcher scored Mike Napoli with one out. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 12 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 9:32 PM
- Mitch Moreland double to right scored Michael Young and Nelson Cruz with one out. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to third. Runners on second and third and Endy Chavez due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 11 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 9:31 PM
- Michael Cuddyer grounded into a double play, second to short to first, scoring Alexi Casilla with two outs. Joe Mauer out at second. None on and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 9 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 25 9:21 PM
- Jose Mijares enters the game for the Twins with a runner on first with two outs.
Twins 0, Rangers 9 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 25 9:10 PM
- Michael Young single to right scored Josh Hamilton with two outs. Runner on first and Nelson Cruz due up.
Twins 0, Rangers 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 25 8:47 PM
- Josh Hamilton double to right scored Ian Kinsler with two outs. Runner on second and Michael Young due up.
Twins 0, Rangers 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 25 8:44 PM
- Ian Kinsler doubled to left. On the play, Kinsler advances to third on Delmon Young's throwing error, scoring Endy Chavez with one out. Runner on third and Elvis Andrus due up.
Twins 0, Rangers 4 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 25 8:40 PM
- Michael Young one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Josh Hamilton. Nelson Cruz due up.
Twins 0, Rangers 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 25 8:18 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22