Cecil, Arencibia get Jays past RangersJul 30, 2011 - 6:05 AM
Cecil (4-4) allowed seven hits and one run while fanning six and walking one for the Blue Jays, who have won three in a row and seven of 10.
"It looked like he started to tire a little bit there in the sixth and seventh," said Toronto manager John Farrell about his starter. "But he did a solid job out there against a good offensive team."
Nelson Cruz and Mike Napoli hit solo homers for the Rangers, losers in four of six.
Alexi Ogando (10-5) worked 5 2/3 innings in the loss, charged with four hits and three runs with four strikeouts and as many walks.
Jon Rauch entered in the ninth with a two-run edge, but immediately surrendered Napoli's blast to left-center which brought Texas within one.
Mitch Moreland followed with a base hit up the middle, but the Jays closer bore down and retired the next three batters to end the game and earn his ninth save.
Cruz put the Rangers on the board when he drilled a low line drive just over the wall in left in the second inning.
Toronto moved ahead in the fifth. Aaron Hill and Travis Snider began the frame with singles and Arencibia lofted a ball over the fence in left to make it 3-1.
Cecil stranded runners on the corners in the fourth when he fanned Yorvit Torrealba swinging, then worked out of a two-on, two-out jam in the sixth by forcing Moreland to ground out.
Texas went down in order in the seventh as Cecil completed his outing. Frank Francisco worked around a Michael Young double to turn in a scoreless eighth.
Cecil posted consecutive wins for the first time all season and has gone 3-0 in his last four starts...Cruz departed the game in the fifth inning with tightness in his left quad...Toronto has won five of the eight meetings this season.
- TEXAS: 2
Jul 29 9:40 PM
- Mike Napoli lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 2, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 29 9:31 PM
- J.P. Arencibia none-out, three-run Home Run (17) to left scored Aaron Hill and Travis Snider. Yunel Escobar due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 29 8:29 PM
- Nelson Cruz lead-off Home Run (23) to left. Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 29 7:23 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jul 29 7:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22