Murphy's hit sends Rangers past A'sAug 15, 2011 - 2:38 AM
Mitch Moreland worked a key walk off of A's pitcher Andrew Bailey (0-3) and pinch-runner Craig Gentry stole second before scoring the decisive run on Murphy's hit.
"It's a tough one to lose. Especially since we came back," Oakland's starting pitcher Rich Harden said.
Nelson Cruz and Yorvit Torrealba finished with two hits apiece for the Rangers, who extended their road winning streak to four.
Mike Adams (1-1) worked a scoreless eighth inning to earn the win and Neftali Feliz tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to nail down his 23rd save of the year.
Brandon Allen finished 3-for-4 with an RBI double and two runs scored, while Hideki Matsui had an RBI single for the A's, losers in four of their last five games.
Down 6-2, Oakland plated four runs to tie the game in the sixth. Scott Sizemore led off the inning with a double to right and scored on a single by Kurt Suzuki. An Allen double then scored Suzuki. Following the RBI, Allen advanced to third on a balk by Rangers starter Matt Harrison and Cliff Pennington walked to put runners on the corners with one out. Jemile Weeks slapped the first pitch he saw from reliever Darren Oliver into left field to plate Allen. After getting Coco Crisp to foul out, Oliver went to 3-2 on Matsui before the former Yankee slapped a base hit into left to plate the tying run.
"You have got to give them credit. They fought us hard today," Rangers manager Ron Washington said about the A's.
Texas opened the scoring in its first at bat when Ian Kinsler was plunked by Harden to lead off the game. Josh Hamilton slapped a single to right two batters later. Kinsler scored when Harden uncorked a wild pitch. Michael Young walked and Cruz followed with an infield single to load the bases with one down. Hamilton then trotted home on a walk to Mike Napoli and Young crossed the plate on a sacrifice fly by Moreland to spot the Rangers an early 3-0 lead.
Oakland had a golden opportunity to get on the board in the third. Allen singled to begin the inning, Weeks smacked a single two batters later and Crisp reached base on an errant throw by Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus to load the bases with one out. Harrison got out of trouble, though, getting Matsui to fly out to center and Josh Willingham to strikeout.
The Rangers added a run in the fourth when Torrealba singled, Murphy walked and Kinsler reached on an infield bunt single to load with bases with no outs. Harden retired the next two hitters, but walked Young to force in Torrealba.
Napoli doubled to right in the fifth and Murphy walked two batters later, giving the Rangers runners on first and second with two down. A's reliever Bruce Billings got Kinsler to loft an easy fly ball to David DeJesus in right which should have been the third out of the inning, but DeJesus took his eye off the ball and it hit off the heel of his glove, allowing both runners to score for a 6-0 Rangers lead.
The A's got on the board in the home half. Allen singled and Pennington walked to being the frame. Harrison got Weeks to ground out and struck out Crisp, but Matsui punched a ground ball to Kinsler at second and the ball squeaked through his legs and into right field, allowing two runs to score to make it a 6-2 contest.
Torrealba extended his hitting streak to 12 games...Young has his 12-game hitting streak snapped...Texas leads the season series with the A's by a 9-4 count...Harrison is 4-1 in eight career games -- five starts -- against the Athletics...Texas has won eight consecutive games over the Athletics...Harrison gave up six runs -- four earned -- on six hits over 5 1/3 innings...Harden gave up four runs on five hits over four frames.
- TEXAS: 7
Aug 14 7:43 PM
- David Murphy single to center scored pinch-runner Craig Gentry with two out. Runner on first and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 7, Athletics 6 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 14 7:30 PM
- Hideki Matsui single to left scored Cliff Pennington with two out. On the play, Jemile Weeks advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Willingham due up.
Rangers 6, Athletics 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 14 6:38 PM
- Coco Crisp fouled out to first. Runners on first and second with two outs and Hideki Matsui due up.
Rangers 6, Athletics 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 14 6:32 PM
- Brandon Allen double to left scored Kurt Suzuki with one out. Runner on second and Cliff Pennington due up.
Rangers 6, Athletics 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 14 6:21 PM
- Kurt Suzuki single to right scored Scott Sizemore with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Allen due up.
Rangers 6, Athletics 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 14 6:20 PM
- Hideki Matsui reached first on Ian Kinsler's fielding error scored Brandon Allen and Cliff Pennington with two out. Runner on first and Josh Willingham due up.
Rangers 6, Athletics 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 14 6:01 PM
- Ian Kinsler reached first on David DeJesus's fielding error scored Mike Napoli and David Murphy with two out. Runner on first and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 6, Athletics 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 14 5:54 PM
- Michael Young walked. Yorvit Torrealba scored on the play with two out. Bases loaded and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 4, Athletics 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 14 5:31 PM
- Mitch Moreland sacrifice fly to center scored Michael Young with two out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to third. Runners on first and third and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rangers 3, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 14 4:26 PM
- Mike Napoli walked. Josh Hamilton scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 14 4:23 PM
- Michael Young walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 14 4:17 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 4:13 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22