Cruz, Napoli highlight Rangers' winAug 16, 2011 - 5:57 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Nelson Cruz and Mike Napoli hit back-to-back homers to end a six-run fifth inning, propelling the Rangers to an 8-4 victory over the Angels in the opener of a four-game series between AL West contenders.
Ian Kinsler finished with four hits, including two doubles, at the top of the Texas order and scored three times. Michael Young added three hits and drove in two for the Rangers, who were coming off a three-game sweep of the Athletics in Oakland.
They also widened their division lead over the Angels to five games.
The Angels' Hisanori Takahashi gave up the bulk off the Rangers' runs, allowing four in one inning of relief. His services were needed because Angels starter Garrett Richards left after two-thirds of an inning because of a strained right groin.
Russell Branyan smacked a pinch-hit, two-run homer for the Angels, who have dropped five of six.
The Rangers held a 2-1 edge entering the fifth inning, which Takahashi began on the mound.
Mitch Moreland and Kinsler started the rally with singles, and Takahashi committed a throwing error on Elvis Andrus' bunt to allow a run to cross the plate. Young then plated two runs with a one-out single and force a pitching change. But Rich Thompson couldn't keep it a 5-1 game.
He hung a 1-2 curveball to Cruz, who crushed the ball down the left-field line, before falling behind in the count to Napoli. He threw a 3-2 fastball over the middle of the plate and slightly down in the zone, and Napoli hammered it to center field for his 19th homer of the season.
"We had one rough inning and it got away from us," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "There were a lot of things we could have done for damage control in that inning, but we didn't get it done."
The Angels got some of the runs back -- Maicer Izturis doubled in one during the home fifth, and Branyan homered in the seventh -- but they couldn't tack on more against Alexi Ogando (12-5), who pitched 6 1/3 innings and allowed eight hits and two walks.
"At times I was a little wild, but I did the best I could with the things I had," Ogando said.
The Rangers bullpen shut down Los Angeles from there. Koji Uehara pitched 1 2/3 scoreless innings before Mark Lowe worked a shutout ninth.
Kinsler helped the Rangers get their first run by leading off the game with a double. He moved to third on an error by catcher Bobby Wilson and scored on Andrus' groundout.
Richards faced two more batters before coming out of the game. He was making his second career start since having his contract selected from Double-A Arkansas last Wednesday.
Bobby Cassevah (1-1) entered and threw 2 2/3 innings, taking the loss after giving up Josh Hamilton's RBI double in the third.
Vernon Wells doubled in Torii Hunter to put the Angels on the board in the second. Hunter had singled to extend his hitting streak to 13 games.
Rangers designated hitter Yorvit Torrealba went 0-for-3 to snap his 12-game hitting streak...Ogando had given up six runs in 2 2/3 innings in his last start, Tuesday against Seattle...Moreland finished with three hits...The Rangers were 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position while the Halos were 1-for-7.
- TEXAS: 8
LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 16 1:14 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Russell Branyan one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Peter Bourjos. Maicer Izturis due up.
Rangers 8, Angels 4 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 16 12:36 AM
- Maicer Izturis double to right scored Erick Aybar with two out. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Rangers 8, Angels 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 16 12:02 AM
- David Murphy flied out to left. None on with two outs and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rangers 8, Angels 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 15 11:53 PM
- Nelson Cruz one-out, two-run Home Run (26) to left scored Michael Young. Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 7, Angels 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 15 11:49 PM
- Michael Young single to left scored Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus with one out. Runner on first and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 5, Angels 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 15 11:46 PM
- Elvis Andrus reached first on a sacrifice bunt to pitcher. On the play, Hisanori Takahashi's throwing error scored Mitch Moreland with none out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advanced to second and Ian Kinsler advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 1 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 15 11:42 PM
- Josh Hamilton double to left scored Ian Kinsler with one out. Runner on second and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 15 11:03 PM
- Vernon Wells double to right scored Torii Hunter with one out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 15 10:51 PM
- Elvis Andrus ground out short to first scored Ian Kinsler with one out. None on and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 15 10:13 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 10:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22