Young, Holland propel Rangers past AngelsAug 17, 2011 - 6:18 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Michael Young had three hits and three RBI to help back 8 2/3 strong innings from Derek Holland in the Rangers' 7-3 victory over the Angels.
Josh Hamilton also had three hits, including a homer, while Mitch Moreland went 3-for-5 with a two-run single for Texas, which has won five in a row and eight of nine.
The AL West-leading Rangers totaled 17 hits -- more than enough offense for Holland (11-4), who gave up three runs on nine hits, and fanned seven.
"I mixed in fastballs and sinkers. I was able to keep them off-balance," Holland said. "When we score runs, it's my job to shut them down."
Angels rookie starter Tyler Chatwood (6-9) surrendered five runs in only two- plus innings, his shortest outing of the season. He faced 16 batters and allowed eight hits and two walks, putting his team in a hole. The Angels couldn't climb out of it, lost for the fourth consecutive time and fell six games behind the Rangers in the division.
The Angels couldn't climb out of it and lost for the fourth consecutive time. They also fell six games behind the Rangers in the division, making the final two contests of this four-game set extra important.
Texas got to Chatwood in the first inning, when Elvis Andrus walked and Hamilton doubled to put runners in scoring position. Young then slapped a single back up the middle to make it a 2-0 game.
Chatwood escaped the inning without further damage and worked a relatively simple second, but couldn't retire a batter in the third.
Hamilton began the inning with a blast to the rocks in left-center field, his 15th of the season.
Singles by Young and Mike Napoli, and a walk to Nelson Cruz, then loaded the bases with nobody out. Moreland's single to center brought in two more runs, pushing Texas' lead to five and chasing Chatwood.
The Angels got on the board in the home half of the inning. Peter Bourjos' base hit plated Howie Kendrick, who had singled and moved to third on Erick Aybar's double.
But Bourjos was caught stealing second to end the inning, and Holland didn't allow the Angels to stage many more good rallies. He gave up only two hits from the fourth to the eighth innings.
"We had opportunities early, but Derek minimized the damage," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "No doubt he pitched a good game."
Holland came out only after running into trouble in the ninth.
Torii Hunter -- who extended his hitting streak to 14 games by going 2-for-4 -- hit an RBI single before scoring on Mark Trumbo's double. Neftali Feliz had to come in to record the game's final out, but by that point the Angels' runs didn't threaten the outcome.
The Rangers had plated two additional runs in the middle innings -- Yorvit Torrealba singled in a run in the fifth, and Young hit a sacrifice fly in the sixth. Both runs came against Trevor Bell, who was recalled from Triple-A Salt Lake on Tuesday and replaced Chatwood in long relief.
The right-hander pitched 4 1/3 innings, allowing the two runs on six hits.
Chatwood has lost his last three decisions...Holland has won his last five decisions, though hadn't received one since July 30...Bell and left-hander Horacio Ramirez, who tossed two-thirds of an inning, were both recalled Tuesday as starter Garrett Richards landed on the 15-day disabled list. Richards left in the first inning of his start Monday with a strained right groin...The Angels also optioned infielder Andrew Romine on Tuesday...LA hadn't dropped consecutive home games since June 8 and 10...The Rangers are a season-best 19 games over .500 (71-52).
- TEXAS: 7
LOS ANGELES: 3
Aug 17 1:14 AM
- Mark Trumbo double to left scored Torii Hunter with two out. Runner on second and Vernon Wells due up.
Rangers 7, Angels 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 17 1:10 AM
- Torii Hunter single to left scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Rangers 7, Angels 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 17 1:07 AM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly to center scored Elvis Andrus with two outs. Runner on first and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 7, Angels 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 17 12:07 AM
- Yorvit Torrealba single to center scored Michael Young with two outs. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to second. Runners on first and second and Endy Chavez due up.
Rangers 6, Angels 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 16 11:49 PM
- Peter Bourjos singled to short scored Howie Kendrick with one out. On the play, Erick Aybar tagged out at third. Runner on first and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Rangers 5, Angels 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 16 11:18 PM
- Mitch Moreland single to center scored Michael Young and Nelson Cruz with none out. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rangers 5, Angels 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 16 11:00 PM
- Josh Hamilton lead-off Home Run (15) to left center. Michael Young due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 16 10:50 PM
- Michael Young single to center scored Elvis Andrus and Josh Hamilton with one out. Runner on first and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 16 10:16 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 16 10:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22