Cousins' slam helps Marlins sweep PiratesApr 22, 2011 - 6:56 AM
Cousins finished 2-for-4 and Brett Hayes hit a three-run homer for the Marlins, who recorded their first sweep of the Pirates since 2002. Mike Stanton added a solo homer.
"Great feeling to get the first career home run out of the way," Cousins said.
Chris Volstad (1-1) gave up five runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings to pick up his first win of the season. He also struck out five and walked three for Florida, which won the first two games of this set by 6-0 scores and have taken six of seven overall.
The news is not all good for the Marlins, who will be without left fielder Logan Morrison for 2-4 weeks with a left foot injury.
Pedro Alvarez went 3-for-4 with a solo homer and two RBI for the Pirates, who came into this series riding a two-game winning streak.
James McDonald (0-2) allowed eight runs on six hits over three innings to take the loss.
Alvarez's homer to right in the second inning snapped a long scoreless streak for the Pirates. The run was Pittsburgh's first since the fifth inning of Monday's 9-3 win in Cincinnati.
But Florida responded with five runs in the home second. McDonald walked two batters and gave up a single to load the bases. Cousins stepped to the plate and cleared the wall in right. He became the seventh player in Marlins history to hit a grand slam for his first career home run.
The Marlins loaded the bases again later in the frame. Hanley Ramirez grounded into a fielder's choice to plate a run. Gaby Sanchez, who started the frame with a walk, struck out to keep it a 5-1 game.
Florida extended its margin in the third with three more runs. Stanton walked and Cousins doubled before Hayes brought them both home with a blast over the wall in left.
The score was 9-2 after each team scored a run in the fifth. Pinch-hitter John Bowker's groundout scored a run for the Pirates, while Stanton homered for Florida.
Pittsburgh put three runs on the board in the sixth to cut into the lead. Volstad was pulled after loading the bases with one out. Randy Choate was called in from the bullpen, but gave up a run on an infield single to Alvarez. Ryan Webb took over on the mound and quickly allowed two runs. Chris Snyder's RBI single was followed by Josh Rodriguez being hit by a pitch to force in a run. Pinch-hitter Matt Diaz grounded into a double play to keep it a 9-5 contest.
The Pirates failed to advance a runner past first the rest of the way.
"We've just got to keep battling," Alvarez said.
Pittsburgh is the only team in the league that has yet to hit a triple this season...McDonald's ERA stands at 10.13...The Pirates left five men on base...Pittsburgh went 3-4 on a seven-game road trip.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
Apr 21 9:57 PM
- Josh Rodriguez' hit-by-pitch scored Garrett Jones. Bases loaded with one out and Mike Crotta due up.
Pirates 5, Marlins 9 Top 6, 1 OutApr 21 9:02 PM
- Chris Snyder singled to left scoring Neil Walker. Bases loaded with one out and Josh Rodriguez due up.
Pirates 4, Marlins 9 Top 6, 1 OutApr 21 8:59 PM
- Pedro Alvarez' infield single to third scored Lyle Overbay. Bases loaded with one out and Chris Snyder due up.
Pirates 3, Marlins 9 Top 6, 1 OutApr 21 8:56 PM
- Mike Stanton lead-off Home Run (1) to left-center. Scott Cousins is due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 9 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 21 8:35 PM
- Pinch-hitter John Bowker's groundout from second to first scored Pedro Alvarez. Runner on second with two outs and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 8 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 21 8:29 PM
- Brett Hayes one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Mike Stanton and Scott Cousins. Chris Volstad is due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 8 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 21 8:05 PM
- Hanley Ramirez grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Chris Volstad. Runners on first and third with two outs and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 21 7:44 PM
- Scott Cousins none-out, Grand Slam (1) to right scored Gaby Sanchez, Greg Dobbs and Mike Stanton. Brett Hayes due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 21 7:38 PM
- Chris Snyder flied out to left to end the inning.
Pirates 1, Marlins 0 Mid 2Apr 21 7:26 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21