Buccos blank GiantsApr 28, 2011 - 5:53 AM
James McDonald (1-2) earned the win with six-plus scoreless innings as he allowed four hits and four walks while striking out three to give the Pirates their third win in five games.
"I was focusing more on the location rather than blowing it by them," McDonald said. "I was working on changing speeds and keep them off balanced."
Madison Bumgarner (0-4) took the loss, lasting six innings and allowing one run on five hits and one intentional walk while striking out seven for the Giants, who have lost five of their last six.
Chris Snyder gave Pittsburgh an early one-run lead when he singled in the second to score Walker, who led off the inning with an infield single and moved to third on Steve Pearce's double.
Jose Tabata added the second run for Pittsburgh in the seventh with a two-out single that scored Brandon Wood from second. Pedro Alvarez and Wood started the inning with back-to-back singles and Lyle Overbay laid down a bunt that reliever, Dan Runzler, grabbed and threw to third for the force out. Guillermo Mota then entered the game in relief of Runzler and struck out Andrew McCutchen before allowing the RBI single to Tabata.
Joel Hanrahan entered the game in the ninth for the save attempt and allowed a lead-off walk to Pablo Sandoval. He then got Pat Burrell to pop out on a full- count before Cody Ross lined a single to right field to put men on first and second. Miguel Tejada followed with a grounder that Pittsburgh turned into a double-play to end the game and give Hanrahan his seventh save of the year.
San Francisco never had a man reach third base throughout the game and stranded runners on second in the second, fifth, seventh, and ninth innings.
"We're too good of a club to be shut out like this," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Ross went 2-for-3 for San Francisco and was the only Giant with multiple hits...San Francisco hit 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base...Bumgarner threw 64 of his 97 pitches for strikes.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Apr 27 9:53 PM
- Jose Tabata single to right scored Brandon Wood. Runners on first and third with two outs and Matt Diaz due up.
Giants 0, Pirates 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 27 9:21 PM
- Pedro Alvarez struck out swinging. Runners on first and second and with one out and Brandon Wood due up.
Giants 0, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 27 7:33 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 7:05 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21