Kemp, Dodgers slug way past PiratesMay 11, 2011 - 5:20 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp hit a three-run homer and Aaron Miles went 3-for-5 with two RBI, as the Dodgers earned an easy 10-3 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates in the second of a four-game set at PNC Park.
Andre Ethier added two hits, two runs scored and an RBI for the Dodgers, who won for only the third time in their last 10 games.
Ted Lilly (3-3) worked six solid innings, allowing two runs on four hits with one walk and four strikeouts.
Andrew McCutchen had three hits, including a pair of solo homers for Pittsburgh, which had a three-game winning streak halted. Neil Walker drove in the other run with a sacrifice fly.
"I've been expecting [McCutchen] to get on a tear sometime soon. Tonight's evidence that it may have already started," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said.
Kevin Correia (5-3) was tagged for 10 hits and five runs -- four earned -- in 6 1/3 innings. The right-hander struck out two without issuing a walk.
Scoreless after five innings, the Dodgers put up four two-out runs in the sixth. Jamey Carroll and Miles hit back-to-back singles before Ethier chased in one with a base hit up the middle. Kemp then jumped on a first-pitch fastball and launched it over the center-field wall.
"Through five [innings] there wasn't a lot of action, but [Ethier's] hit gets us a run and [Kemp's] hit gets us a quick three. That was nice," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
McCutchen led off the home half with a homer to left and Jose Tabata followed with a double, advanced to third on a groundout and crossed the plate on a sac fly by Walker to make it a 4-2 game.
The Dodgers got one back in the seventh when Rod Barajas doubled and scored on Jerry Sands' infield single, coupled with a throwing error on first baseman Steve Pearce.
Los Angeles then blew the game open with a five-run eighth. Juan Uribe brought in one with a single and later in the inning with the bases loaded, Sands and Matt Guerrier drew consecutive walks to force in two more, before Miles lined a two-run single to left to put the Dodgers up 10-2.
McCutchen led off the home eighth with a homer to left-center.
Lance Cormier retired the final three batters to end the game.
Dodgers reliever Blake Hawksworth left the game in the seventh inning with a groin injury...Lilly improved to 6-4 in 17 career meetings with the Pirates, including 15 starts...Correia fell to 5-4 in 25 games -- 11 starts -- against the Dodgers.
- LOS ANGELES: 10
May 10 10:22 PM
- Matt Diaz doubled to right. Runner on second with one out and Neil Walker due up.
Dodgers 10, Pirates 3 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 10 9:58 PM
- Andre Ethier grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Dodgers 10, Pirates 2 Mid 8May 10 9:48 PM
- Matt Guerrier walked. Juan Uribe scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 8, Pirates 2 Top 8, 1 OutMay 10 9:42 PM
- Jerry Sands walked. Matt Kemp scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Matt Guerrier due up.
Dodgers 7, Pirates 2 Top 8, 1 OutMay 10 9:39 PM
- Juan Uribe advances to second on a wild pitch. Matt Kemp advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with none out and James Loney at the plate.
Dodgers 6, Pirates 2 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 10 9:30 PM
- Jay Gibbons is Pinch-Hitting for Kevin Correia.
Dodgers 5, Pirates 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 10 8:55 PM
- Neil Walker sacrifice fly out to right scored Jose Tabata. None on with two outs and Steve Pearce due up.
Dodgers 4, Pirates 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 10 8:44 PM
- Jose Tabata doubled to left center. Runner on second with none out and Matt Diaz due up.
Dodgers 4, Pirates 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 10 8:38 PM
- Matt Kemp two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to center scored Aaron Miles and Andre Ethier. Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 4, Pirates 0 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 10 8:32 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 7:05 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21