Carrasco helps Indians down PiratesJun 19, 2011 - 4:13 AM
Carlos Carrasco (7-3) was solid through 6 1/3 innings and took a no-hitter into the sixth inning for the Indians, who have won four of their last six games. He allowed just one run on four hits and struck out four in his third straight win.
"He kept them scoreless up until the seventh inning. He showed a lot there," said Indians manager Manny Acta of his starter. "It was only two runs. He pitched great...the third great performance in a row."
Lyle Overbay plated the lone run for the Pirates, who had a four-game win streak snapped with a 5-1 loss in Friday's series opener.
Pittsburgh starter Paul Maholm (3-8) suffered the loss, allowing four runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings.
Cleveland scored first on Carlos Santana's sacrifice fly that plated leadoff man Sizemore. Sizemore then helped the Indians tack on another run in the second when he ripped a double down the right line to bring home Austin Kearns.
Meanwhile, Carrasco was rolling before his no-hitter broken up by Michael McKenry's hard liner to second baseman Cabrera, who couldn't pull down the leaping catch.
Later in the inning, the Pirates threatened with runners on first and second with one down. But Carrasco settled down to fan Xavier Paul and struck out Andrew McCutchen with an outside slider to end the frame.
Cabrera atoned for his dropped ball with a solo shot down the left line in the bottom of the frame to put the Indians up 3-0.
But Carrasco's shutout streak of 21 2/3 innings of scoreless ball was snapped in the seventh on Overbay liner into right that pushed across Garrett Jones, who led off the inning with a double.
"The offense is going to go up and down. Carrasco had some good stuff today and you tip the cap to him," Jones admitted. "But we better get them tomorrow because the last few games haven't gone our way."
The Indians added a pair in the seventh as Grady Sizemore led off with a triple that landed at the top of the fence in dead center and then scored on Michael Brantley's sac fly.
Asdrubal Cabrera kept it going with a single, stole second and touched home on Shin-Soo Choo's grounder through the left side.
Indians designated hitter Travis Hafner, who returned from the DL on Friday, had a scheduled day off. He will return to the lineup on Sunday...It's Maholm's first loss since May 22...Cleveland placed first baseman Matt LaPorta on the 15-day disabled list with a right ankle sprain before the game. The Indians recalled Travis Buck from Triple-A Columbus to fill the roster spot...The Indians improve to 5-0 during interleague play this season...The Pirates have lost 12 straight on the road against American League teams.
- PITTSBURGH: 1
Jun 18 9:52 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo singled to left scored Asdrubal Cabrera. On the play, Choo advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Orlando Cabrera due up.
Pirates 1, Indians 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 18 9:23 PM
- Michael Brantley sacrifice fly out to left scored Grady Sizemore. None on with one out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Pirates 1, Indians 4 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 18 9:13 PM
- Lyle Overbay singled to right scored Garrett Jones. Runner on first with one out and Josh Harrison due up.
Pirates 1, Indians 3 Top 7, 1 OutJun 18 9:03 PM
- Orlando Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Austin Kearns due up.
Pirates 0, Indians 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 18 8:51 PM
- Grady Sizemore doubled to right scored Austin Kearns. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Brantley due up.
Pirates 0, Indians 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 18 7:44 PM
- Carlos Santana sacrifice fly out to left scored Grady Sizemore. Runner on first with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Pirates 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 18 7:20 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 7:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21