Bumgarner, Giants blank PiratesAug 10, 2011 - 5:42 AM
Chris Stewart cracked his first big league homer and Aubrey Huff also went deep among his three hits for the Giants. It was just the second time since July 16 that they scored at least six runs.
"It's good to have a little cushion and give the pitching a break," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
The Giants won for just the third time in their last 12 games despite not having right fielder Carlos Beltran in the lineup for a second straight night due to a strained right wrist.
The victory kept them a half-game in front of Arizona for first place in the NL West.
Bumgarner (7-11), who had lost his previous two starts, allowed four hits.
On the other side, James McDonald (7-6) was charged with four hits and three runs in six innings. The Pirates, who snapped a 10-game skid with a 5-0 win in the opener of this three-game set Monday, had just five hits Tuesday.
"His stuff has gotten better as the season has gone along," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "Tonight he was beating people with his fastball and threw some good curveballs. It just seems when he's making mistakes, he's paying for them."
Ryan Ludwick made a diving catch in shallow left field on a ball hit by Andres Torres and then doubled Bumgarner off first base to end the third inning.
Jeff Keppinger doubled leading off the San Francisco fourth, and one out later Huff lined a double to the gap in left-center field to account for the game's first run.
Just like Ludwick's stop in the third, the Giants had good defense on display as well. Sandoval made a diving stop on a grounder by Andrew McCutchen and threw across he diamond for the last out of the Pittsburgh fifth.
Stewart started the bottom of the inning by homering to left on the first pitch from McDonald. The 29-year-old Stewart, who toiled in the minors for nine years, had his contract purchased from Triple-A Fresno May 26 when Buster Posey landed on the disabled list.
Huff homered to right field with one out in the sixth and the Giants blew it open in the eighth. Sandoval singled and scored on a Nate Schierholtz's fielder's choice grounder. Cody Ross then blooped a hit down the right field line, and Orlando Cabrera singled to left to account for the final margin.
The Pirates loaded the bases in the ninth inning, but Santiago Casilla fanned McCutchen to end the game.
The Giants' last 18 home runs have been solo shots. The last time they hit a homer that accounted for more than one run was when Schierholtz belted a two- run shot on July 6 vs. San Diego. The major league record for consecutive solo homers is 19, set by the 1914 Philadelphia Phillies...Bumgarner, who walked one batter, has issued two walks or fewer in 21 of his last 22 starts...Pirates pitchers have surrendered 17 home run in the last eight games...It was Grateful Dead Night at AT&T Park. Fans were treated to a live pregame performance by a Grateful Dead tribute band. Original band members Bob Weir, Phil Lesh and the Giants' own Tim Flannery performed the National Anthem.
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Aug 10 1:06 AM
- Orlando Cabrera single to left scored Cody Ross with two out. Runner on first and Chris Stewart due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 10 12:55 AM
- Cody Ross single to right scored Nate Schierholtz with two out. On the play, Cody Ross advances to third on Ryan Doumit's throwing error. Runner on third and Orlando Cabrera due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 10 12:55 AM
- Nate Schierholtz grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Pablo Sandoval with two out. On the play, Aubrey Huff out at second. Runner on first and Cody Ross due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 10 12:55 AM
- Aubrey Huff one-out, solo Home Run (11) to right. Nate Schierholtz due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 9 11:45 PM
- Madison Bumgarner grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Andres Torres due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 9 11:29 PM
- Aubrey Huff double to center scored Jeff Keppinger with one out. Runner on second and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 9 11:13 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 9 10:16 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21