HRs by Santana, Hannahan lift Indians over A'sAug 31, 2011 - 6:00 AM
Jeanmar Gomez (1-2), who was called up from the minors prior to the game, allowed one unearned run over six innings to record the win. He gave up six hits, walked one and struck out four.
Kosuke Fukudome added a two-run double for the Indians, who have won four of five. They remained 5 1/2 games behind first-place Detroit in the AL Central.
Trevor Cahill (9-13) gave up five runs on seven hits over 5 1/3 innings to suffer his eighth loss in his last nine decisions.
"I thought his stuff was good again," said A's manager Bob Melvin. "There's just a short period where he gets out of whack a little bit."
Coco Crisp and Kurt Suzuki both had an RBI for the A's, losers of four straight.
Fukudome, who had an RBI double in the Indians' 2-1 series-opening win, followed back-to-back infield singles from Lou Marson and Ezequiel Carrera with a two-bagger into right center to give the Tribe a 2-0 lead in the third.
The A's made it a 2-1 game in the top of the fifth. With one down and Suzuki on first, Jemile Weeks hit a potential inning-ending grounder. First baseman Santana got the force at second, but Asdrubal Cabrera's throw sailed past the covering Gomez at first, allowing Weeks to reach second. He scored on Crisp's single through the right side.
In the bottom of the sixth, Santana followed a Jim Thome walk with a blast to right. It was the Cleveland first baseman's 21st home run of the season and second in as many nights.
Shelley Duncan was then hit by a pitch, marking the end of Cahill's night. Fautino De Los Santos entered and left a 1-2 curveball up to Hannahan, who deposited it into the seats in right, giving the Indians a 6-1 lead.
"He started me off with a couple fastballs and then he left a curveball up and I was able to put a good swing on it," said Hannahan.
Chad Durbin held the A's off the board in the seventh and Rafael Perez tossed a scoreless eighth before allowing a Suzuki sac fly in the ninth. Vinnie Pestano retired pinch-hitter Ryan Sweeney and Weeks to end the game.
In his only other start against the A's this season -- May 5 -- Gomez allowed one run over 5 1/3 innings in a 4-3 Indians' win...Since being acquired by the Cubs on July 27, Fukudome is batting .283 (34-120) with 10 doubles and 12 RBI in 30 games...On Tuesday, the Indians recalled Gomez and optioned Matt LaPorta to Triple-A Columbus...Indians outfielder Grady Sizemore is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment with Double-A Akron Wednesday night. He has been on the disabled list since July 18 with a right knee contusion...Cahill is just 1-8 in his last nine decisions dating back to June 30...Prior to the game, the A's optioned pitcher Jerry Blevins to Triple-A Sacramento, outrighted pitcher Bruce Billings to Sacramento and recalled pitcher Neil Wagner from the same club.
- OAKLAND: 2
Aug 30 9:58 PM
- Kurt Suzuki sacrifice fly out to center scored David DeJesus. Runner on second with one out and Scott Sizemore due up.
Athletics 2, Indians 6 Top 9, 1 OutAug 30 9:52 PM
- Jack Hannahan one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Jerad Head. Jason Donald due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 6 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 30 8:57 PM
- Carlos Santana one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right scored Jim Thome. Shelley Duncan due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 30 8:50 PM
- Coco Crisp singled to right scored Jemile Weeks. Runner on first with two outs and Hideki Matsui due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 30 8:31 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome doubled to right scored Lou Marson and Ezequiel Carrera. Runner on second with one out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 30 8:00 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 7:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21