Hannahan hits 2 HRs, gets GW hit in 16th for TribeSep 1, 2011 - 5:44 AM
"Huge night," Indians manager Manny Acta said of Hannahan.
And it ended on a huge play.
Cord Phelps was running the bases for Jim Thome and scored from second on Hannahan's hit to right field.
It ended Cleveland's third game of 14 innings or more in a 22-day span and gave the Indians three straight wins to start this four-game series.
Frank Herrmann (4-0) was among the heroes after throwing four perfect innings as the last available man in the Cleveland bullpen.
"He just gave us a huge lift," said Acta.
Thome drove a one-out single to the left field wall off Josh Outman (3-4) -- it was hit too hard for the 41-year-old to reach second -- and Carlos Santana followed with a base hit to move Phelps up.
Phelps then charged around third after Hannahan roped Outman's 1-1 fastball through the right side, headed for a play at the plate.
David DeJesus' throw beat the runner, but Kurt Suzuki had to leap for it. A replay showed the tag was applied on Phelps' rear before he made contact with the plate, but home plate umpire Bruce Dreckman signaled safe.
"It's one of those things where you can't tell," Suzuki said. "He was safe and that's what he called him."
Outman threw 1 1/3 innings to punctuate a strong effort by the Oakland bullpen in relief of starter Rich Harden, who gave up three runs in six innings.
Before Outman, six other pitchers -- Craig Breslow, Grant Balfour, Fautino De Los Santos, Jerry Blevins, Neil Wagner and Andrew Bailey -- combined to throw eight innings of one-hit ball.
Herrmann was the fifth Cleveland reliever after starter Ubaldo Jimenez gave up three runs in six innings.
The Indians took an early 1-0 lead on Kosuke Fukudome's sacrifice fly in the first inning, but Jimenez surrendered a bases-loaded walk in the second to tie the game.
Hannahan led off the bottom of the inning with a first-pitch homer, but the A's scored in each of the next two frames for a 3-2 lead. Brandon Allen had an RBI single in the third and Suzuki hit his 13th homer in the fourth.
In the sixth, Hannahan hit an 0-1 Harden split fastball high off the right- field pole to tie the game at 3-3.
Hannahan's blast high off the right-field foul pole in the sixth made it a 3-3 game.
The A's had men on first and second base with one out in the 10th, but Joe Smith got out of the jam with a strikeout and double play. They loaded the bases with one out in the 12th, but Chad Durbin struck out Ryan Sweeney and got DeJesus to pop out.
Cleveland stranded runners at second and third in the bottom of the 15th.
Jimenez struck out six of the final seven batters he faced...The Indians are 5-1 in the season series...Hannahan had his fourth career multi-homer game...The A's placed pitcher Brian Fuentes on the bereavement list Wednesday and recalled fellow left-hander Blevins from Triple-A Sacramento...After the game, the A's traded first baseman/outfielder Conor Jackson to the Boston Red Sox along with cash considerations for minor league right-handed pitcher Jason Rice.
- OAKLAND: 3
Sep 1 12:08 AM
- Jack Hannahan single to right scored Cord Phelps to end the game.
Athletics 3, Indians 4 Bot 16, 1 OutSep 1 12:08 AM
- Jack Hannahan one-out, solo Home Run 2 (8) to right. Jason Donald due up.
Athletics 3, Indians 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 31 8:53 PM
- Kurt Suzuki one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Scott Sizemore due up.
Athletics 3, Indians 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 31 8:10 PM
- Brandon Allen single to center scored Cliff Pennington with two outs. Runner on first and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Athletics 2, Indians 2 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 31 7:52 PM
- Jack Hannahan lead-off Home Run (7) to center. Jason Donald due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 31 7:35 PM
- Scott Sizemore walked. Josh Willingham scores with two outs. Bases loaded and Jemile Weeks due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 31 7:32 PM
- Jim Thome ground-rule double to right center. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 31 7:17 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 7:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21