Dobbs lifts Marlins over AstrosApr 10, 2011 - 5:08 AM
Omar Infante and Logan Morrison each had two hits for Florida, which has taken the first two of the three-game set. Starting pitcher Javier Vazquez (1-1) got the win in six innings, allowing four runs on eight hits.
Hunter Pence had two hits and two RBI for the Astros, who fell to 1-7 on the young season.
Fernando Abad (1-1) was tagged with the loss. He didn't last an entire inning, allowing two runs on three hits during the seventh.
The Marlins scored three runs at the top of the sixth to tie the game, 4-4. Mike Stanton's long double to center field scored Morrison, who reached on a single. Two batters later, Dobbs launched two-run shot into the right field seats.
"I just want to focus on what I'm going to do from this day forward to help the club win," Dobbs said.
They took the lead during their next at-bat with three straight doubles and never looked back. Wes Helms hit a pinch-hit double and scored on Chris Coghlan's two-bagger that landed in the right field corner. Infante's double to center field then plated Coghlan for a 6-4 lead.
Dobbs added a double in the eighth to score Gaby Sanchez, and the Astros put up a run during their turn at the plate. Carlos Lee led off with a double and Brett Wallace's base hit to right plated Lee to make up the final score.
Leo Nunez came in ninth to record his third save of the year, allowing just one hit.
"Anytime you have the lead late in the game you want to win," Houston manager Brad Mills said. "The guys kept batting all the way to the end."
Houston took the early lead with their first turn at the plate from back-to- back doubles. With Angel Sanchez at second, Pence bombed a long shot to the bottom of the right-center fence that plated the runner.
The Marlins, though, loaded the bases with no outs during the top of the second after consecutive walks by Stanton and Gaby Sanchez. Then Dobbs singled to fill the bases. However, starting pitcher Bud Norris got out of the inning, limiting the damage to just one run when Donnie Murphy's groundout plated Stanton to tie the game.
During the home team's turn to bat in the second, Norris sliced a double down the left field line to score Bill Hall, who also got on base with a double. Michael Bourn then walked to put runners on first and second before Angel Sanchez lined a shot to center, sending Norris home to go on top, 3-1.
Houston built onto its lead in the fifth with a run. Bourn crossed home from second on Pence's grounder that squeezed through the right side of the infield.
Florida split its six meetings with the Astros last season...Gaby Sanchez has reached base safely in all eight games for the Marlins...Norris went six innings, allowing four runs on five hits and six strikeouts for Houston.
- FLORIDA: 7
Apr 9 10:15 PM
- Brett Wallace single to right scored Carlos Lee with none out. Runner on first and Chris Johnson due up.
Marlins 7, Astros 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 9 9:52 PM
- Greg Dobbs double to center scored Gaby Sanchez with none out. Runner on second and John Buck due up.
Marlins 7, Astros 4 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 9 9:44 PM
- Omar Infante double to center scored Chris Coghlan with one out. Runner on second and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 6, Astros 4 Top 7, 1 OutApr 9 9:18 PM
- Chris Coghlan double to left scored Wes Helms with one out. Runner on second and Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 5, Astros 4 Top 7, 1 OutApr 9 9:16 PM
- John Buck flied out to right to end the inning.
Marlins 4, Astros 4 Mid 6Apr 9 9:00 PM
- Mike Stanton double to center scored Logan Morrison with one out. Runner on second and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 2, Astros 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 9 8:55 PM
- Hunter Pence single to right scored Michael Bourn with none out. Runners on first and second with Carlos Lee due up.
Marlins 1, Astros 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 9 8:45 PM
- Angel Sanchez single to center scored Bud Norris with two out. Runners on first and third with Hunter Pence due up.
Marlins 1, Astros 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 9 7:56 PM
- Bud Norris double to left scored Bill Hall with two out. Runner on second and Michael Bourn due up.
Marlins 1, Astros 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 9 7:51 PM
- Donnie Murphy grounded out first to pitcher scoring Mike Stanton with two out. Runners on second and third with Javier Vazquez due up.
Marlins 1, Astros 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 9 7:40 PM
- Hunter Pence double to right scored Angel Sanchez with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Lee due up.
Marlins 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 9 7:21 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 9 7:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21