Kershaw records career-high 14th win, Dodgers down AstrosAug 14, 2011 - 6:00 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Clayton Kershaw struck out nine batters through eight innings, and Matt Kemp had a two-run home run as the Dodgers took down the Astros, 6-1, in the second contest of a three-game set.
Kershaw (14-5) allowed one run on six hits and a walk to record his career- best 14th win of the season.
"Clayton is a great pitcher. I'm happy I don't have to face him," Kemp said about his pitcher. "We feel confident if we give him a couple of runs, it's going to hold up."
Tony Gwynn Jr. went 3-for-4 with two runs scored in Los Angeles' second straight win after a four-game losing streak.
Wandy Rodriguez (8-9) allowed five runs -- two earned -- on six hits and two walks through six innings for the loss.
J.D. Martinez knocked in the Astros' lone run as the club lost for the eighth time in nine games.
The Dodgers took the only lead they needed in the first, due to a costly error by Carlos Lee.
Jamey Carroll led off the frame with a grounder to first that Lee fielded, but made an off-line throw to Rodriguez, who was running to cover the bag. Carroll reached safely, and two batters later, Andre Ethier reached on a fielder's choice.
Kemp, who had the game-winning hit in the 10th inning of Friday's 1-0 win, followed with a two-run homer over the wall in left field.
Gwynn singled to lead off the fifth, stole second, moved to third on Justin Sellers' first big-league hit, a single to left, and crossed the plate on a Kershaw sacrifice fly. Sellers came home on a sacrifice fly by Casey Blake to extend the Dodgers' cushion to 4-0.
LA added to its lead in the sixth, when Astros catcher Carlos Corporan threw the ball into left field as Gwynn stole third, allowing Gwynn to easily take home.
Juan Rivera's RBI single in the seventh made it a six-run game.
Houston finally broke through against Kershaw in the eighth, when Jason Bourgeois led off with a single and came around to score on a double down the first-base line by Martinez.
After Lee struck out, Jimmy Paredes hit a dribbler toward third that Blake let roll to see if it would go foul. It stayed fair instead, but Martinez was tagged out to end the inning -- he got to the bag just after Blake grabbed the ball.
The Astros had plenty of chances to get to Kershaw throughout the game, putting a runner on second base in the second, third, fifth and sixth innings, but each time Houston came up empty. The Astros finished 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base.
"They did what they had to do. Kershaw has a great delivery. He's a good pitcher," said Corporan.
Kershaw improved to 9-1 in 13 starts at home this season. He has not lost in LA since April 16 against St. Louis...The Dodgers are 4-4 against the Astros this year...Rodriguez has lost five of his last seven decisions, while Kershaw has won six of his last seven.
- HOUSTON: 1
LOS ANGELES: 6
Aug 14 12:55 AM
- J.D. Martinez doubled to right scored Jason Bourgeois with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 1, Dodgers 6 Top 8, 1 OutAug 14 12:49 AM
- Juan Rivera singled to center scored Casey Blake with two out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second with Rod Barajas due up.
Astros 0, Dodgers 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 14 12:49 AM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. stole third, scores on Carlos Corporan's throwing error with two out. None on and Clayton Kershaw at the plate.
Astros 0, Dodgers 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 14 12:46 AM
- Casey Blake sacrifice fly out to right scored Justin Sellers with one out. Runners on first and second with Andre Ethier due up.
Astros 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 13 11:39 PM
- Clayton Kershaw sacrificed into a fielder's choice scored Tony Gwynn Jr. with none out. On the play, Justin Sellers advances to second. Runners on first and second with Jamey Carroll due up.
Astros 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 13 11:36 PM
- Juan Rivera grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Astros 0, Dodgers 2 End 1Aug 13 10:23 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 13 10:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22