Herrera HR shoots Rockies past AstrosAug 24, 2011 - 4:42 AM
Seth Smith added a 478-foot homer for the Rockies, who have taken the first two test of this three-game series and recorded their first four-game winning streak since June 14-18.
Carlos Lee and Johnny Paredes went deep for the Astros, who have lost three in a row after winning four straight.
Jordan Schafer singled in Jason Michaels in the top of the seventh to forge a 6-6 game, but Smith walked leading off the bottom half against Fernando Rodriguez (2-2). Herrera, who came into Tuesday hitting .172 at Coors Field this season compared to .293 on the road, got hold of a 2-1 pitch and homered to right field.
Matt Belisle fanned the final two batters of a 1-2-3 top of the eighth, and Rex Brothers escaped a jam in the ninth to record his first big league save.
Clint Barmes walked leading off the ninth, and pinch-hitter Matt Downs singled with one out. Pinch-hitter Jason Bourgeois struck out looking and Jose Altuve fouled out to first baseman Todd Helton to end the game.
Houston starter Bud Norris gave up six hits and five runs -- four earned -- over five innings. Alex White, who made his Rockies debut, lasted six innings, allowing seven hits and five runs.
Troy Tulowitzki's RBI single highlighted a two-run first inning, but Lee went deep to left leading off the second.
The Rockies left the bases full in the second, and the Astros grabbed a 3-2 lead in the third thanks to RBI singles from Altuve and J.D. Martinez. Houston could have had more runs, but Brian Bogusevic grounded into an inning-ending double play.
"A guy making his first start for us, to handle that situation in the third inning in the manner in which he did, that's a quantum leap for me," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Carlos Gonzalez came home in the bottom of the third when Norris, covering first on a potential double play, saw the ball carom off this glove.
"I could have made it easier on myself with throwing plays on my defensive side," Norris said. "I got my pitch count pretty high and that hurt me and the team."
Tulowitzki was hit by a pitch to start the fifth, and one out later Smith tattooed a pitch off the facade of the third deck in right field.
Paredes' blast tied it in the top of the sixth, but Gonzalez put Colorado ahead in the bottom portion with an RBI single. The hit, which scored Dexter Fowler, gave Gonzalez at least one RBI in eight consecutive games. That's two off the Colorado record, held by Vinny Castilla in 2004.
White was acquired from Cleveland as part of the Ubaldo Jimenez deal last month, but had been on the disabled list since May 21 with soreness in his right middle finger...The Rockies made a series of moves before the game. They activated White from the 60-day disabled list. To make room on the 40-man roster, the Rockies transferred pitcher Juan Nicasio to the 60-day disabled list, while also placing pitcher Edgmer Escalona on the 15-day disabled list with a right rotator cuff strain...The Rockies also reportedly claimed starting pitcher Wandy Rodriguez off waivers from the Astros.
- HOUSTON: 6
Aug 23 11:50 PM
- Jonathan Herrera one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Seth Smith. Matt Belisle due up.
Astros 6, Rockies 8 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 23 11:12 PM
- Jordan Schafer single to left scored Jason Michaels with one out. On the play, Jordan Schafer advanced to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 6, Rockies 6 Top 7, 1 OutAug 23 10:57 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to center scored Dexter Fowler with none out. On the play, Chris Nelson advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Astros 5, Rockies 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 23 10:45 PM
- Jimmy Paredes two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Brian Bogusevic. Clint Barmes due up.
Astros 5, Rockies 5 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 23 10:35 PM
- Chris Iannetta grounded out third to first. None on with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Astros 3, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 23 10:25 PM
- Chris Iannetta reached first on Carlos Lee's fielding error. On the play, Seth Smith advanced to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Astros 3, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 23 9:53 PM
- Carlos Lee reached first on Chris Nelson's fielding error. On the play, J.D. Martinez advanced to second and Jose Altuve advanced to third. Bases loaded with one out and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Astros 3, Rockies 2 Top 3, 1 OutAug 23 9:35 PM
- Carlos Lee lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Brian Bogusevic due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 2 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 23 8:57 PM
- Todd Helton sacrifice fly out to right scored Chris Nelson with two out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki tug out at second to end the inning.
Astros 0, Rockies 2 End 1Aug 23 8:56 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to right scored Dexter Fowler with one out. On the play, Chris Nelson advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Todd Helton due up.
Astros 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 23 8:54 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 8:41 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21