Angels edge Indians to win seriesMay 8, 2011 - 11:46 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Erick Aybar delivered a two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning to help the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim beat the Cleveland Indians, 6-5, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Alberto Callaspo doubled home a pair in the sixth for the Angels, who have won four of their last five games.
It was the 1,000th career victory for manager Mike Scioscia, who became just the 23rd skipper in major league history to reach the milestone with one team.
"It's not a personal accomplishment," Scioscia said. "I'm proud our organization is moving in the right direction. It's definitely a team effort and I'm fortunate to be a part of it."
Grady Sizemore went 3-for-5 with a solo home run for Cleveland, which has dropped three of five.
Down by one run, the Indians surged ahead in the eighth. Asdrubal Cabrera reached on a grounder that deflected off Angels reliever Fernando Rodney (2-1). After Shin-Soo Choo flied out, Carlos Santana lined a single to right field. Cabrera advanced to third, while Santana took second on Torii Hunter's throw that nearly exited the playing field.
Travis Hafner then tied the game with an infield single and Orlando Cabrera gave Cleveland a 4-3 lead with a fielder's choice.
The Angels, though, countered with three runs in the bottom of the inning. Rafael Perez gave up a one-out double to Howie Kendrick. Joe Smith (1-1) then replaced Perez after Hank Conger struck out and consecutive high choppers by Mark Trumbo and Peter Bourjos -- both wound up being infield singles -- plated the tying run. Aybar's double to left put Los Angeles up 6-4.
The Indians trimmed their deficit in the ninth with back-to-back one-out doubles by Sizemore and Asdrubal Cabrera. Jordan Walden fanned both Choo and Santana to record his sixth save of the season.
"We did everything we had to do to win," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta. "You just can't defend against high choppers."
Cleveland took a 1-0 lead on a RBI single by Austin Kearns in the second. Sizemore doubled the advantage in the fifth with a one-out drive to center off LA starter Dan Haren.
The Angels grabbed the lead in the sixth with three unearned runs against Cleveland starter Fausto Carmona, who retired the inning's first two batters.
After Maicer Izturis kept the frame alive with a single, Vernon Wells reached on a fielding error by third baseman Adam Everett and Callaspo tied the game with a double to center. Consecutive singles by Kendrick and Conger produced the go-ahead run.
Haren, who tossed a one-hit shutout the last time he faced the Indians on April 12, scattered six hits, walked one and struck out 10 in 6 2/3 innings...Carmona gave up eight hits, walked one and fanned seven over seven full frames.
- CLEVELAND: 5
LOS ANGELES: 6
May 8 6:28 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo struck out swinging. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 5, Angels 6 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 8 6:25 PM
- Erick Aybar double to left scored Mark Trumbo and Peter Bourjos with two out. Runner on second and Torii Hunter due up.
Indians 4, Angels 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 8 6:14 PM
- Peter Bourjos infield single to pitcher scored Howie Kendrick with two out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Erick Aybar due up.
Indians 4, Angels 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 8 6:13 PM
- Orlando Cabrera grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Carlos Santana with two out. Michael Brantley out at second. Runner on first and Matt LaPorta due up.
Indians 4, Angels 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 8 5:55 PM
- Travis Hafner infield single to second scored Asdrubal Cabrera with one out. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to third. Runners on first and third and Orlando Cabrera due up.
Indians 3, Angels 3 Top 8, 1 OutMay 8 5:53 PM
- Hank Conger single to center scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Indians 2, Angels 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 8 5:19 PM
- Alberto Callaspo double to center scored Maicer Izturis and Vernon Wells with two out. Runner on second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Indians 2, Angels 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 8 5:15 PM
- Grady Sizemore one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 2, Angels 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 8 4:46 PM
- Austin Kearns single to left scored Carlos Santana with two out. On the play, Orlando Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adam Everett due up.
Indians 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 8 4:01 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 3:38 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21