Red Sox rip Indians, take seriesMay 25, 2011 - 9:21 PM
Carl Crawford had a big game, finishing 4-for-4 with a solo homer, two doubles and three runs scored, while David Ortiz also hit a solo shot for Boston, which banged out 20 hits and has won 10 of its last 12 games.
Jon Lester (7-1) worked six scoreless innings, allowing three hits and one walk with seven strikeouts. He improved to 4-1 lifetime against Cleveland.
"Obviously it's good. Takes a lot of pressure off of not only me, but the defense," Lester said about working with a big lead. "You don't have to be perfect."
Shelley Duncan accounted for the only offense with a two-run single for the Indians, who dropped the final two games in the series after winning four in a row.
Mitch Talbot (1-1), who had been sidelined with an elbow strain in his pitching arm, returned to the mound for the first time since April 11 and was shelled for eight runs -- seven in the first inning alone -- on 12 hits and two walks.
"I wasn't making my pitches first off," Talbot said. "I wasn't hitting my spots. It was almost like even if I was, they were going to find a hole somewhere. It was just kind of one of those days."
Boston gave Talbot a rude welcome back to the mound, scoring seven runs in the first and sending 12 men to the plate.
Jacoby Ellsbury got the inning started with a base hit and Pedroia followed with a two-run shot into the left-field stands. Adrian Gonzalez and Ortiz both reached on base hits, and two batters later Crawford joined the hit parade with an RBI single to center.
Saltalamacchia chased in another with a base hit and Mike Cameron's sacrifice fly made it a 5-0 game. Ellsbury and Pedroia added an RBI single apiece to close out the scoring in the first.
Gonzalez's run-scoring single in the third and a solo blast by Crawford in the fourth put Boston ahead 9-0.
The Red Sox tacked on five more in the sixth on a solo homer by Ortiz, a three-run shot from Saltalamacchia and Ellsbury's RBI double.
Meanwhile, Lester retired 15 batters in a row before allowing a pair of two- out runners in the sixth.
Dan Wheeler came on for Lester and worked a scoreless seventh and Franklin Morales surrendered a two-run single to Duncan in the eighth to make it a 14-2 game.
Scott Atchison threw a scoreless ninth to close out the victory.
Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis and outfielder J.D. Drew both missed the game. Youkilis sat out with a sore left hand, while Drew is nursing a right hamstring strain...Talbot was activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game and right-hander Josh Judy was optioned to Triple-A Columbus...Cleveland swept a three-game set from the Red Sox earlier in the year at Progressive Field and despite the loss has still won five of the last eighth matchups overall.
- BOSTON: 14
May 25 3:09 PM
- Shelley Duncan singled to left scoring Adam Everett and Travis Buck with two out. Runner on first and Matt LaPorta due up.
Red Sox 14, Indians 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 25 2:56 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury doubled to center scoring Mike Cameron with one out. Runner on second and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 14, Indians 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 25 2:00 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia none-out, three-run Home Run (4) to right scored Jed Lowrie and Carl Crawford. Mike Cameron due up.
Red Sox 13, Indians 0 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 25 1:51 PM
- David Ortiz lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Jed Lowrie due up.
Red Sox 10, Indians 0 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 25 1:45 PM
- Mike Cameron grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Red Sox 9, Indians 0 Mid 4May 25 1:21 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to right scoring Drew Sutton with one out. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Runners on first and third with David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 8, Indians 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 25 1:02 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singled to left scoring Drew Sutton with two out. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to second. Runners on first and second with Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 7, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 25 12:24 PM
- Drew Sutton singled to center scoring Jarrod Saltalamacchia with two out. Runner on first and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 6, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 25 12:19 PM
- Mike Cameron sacrifice fly to left scored Carl Crawford with two out. Runner on second and Drew Sutton due up.
Red Sox 5, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 25 12:19 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia singled to right scoring Jed Lowrie with one out. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to third on Shin-Soo Choo fielding error. Runners on first and third with Mike Cameron due up.
Red Sox 4, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 25 12:15 PM
- Carl Crawford singled to center scoring Adrian Gonzalez with one out. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to second. Runners on first and second with Mike Cameron due up.
Red Sox 3, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 25 12:13 PM
- Dustin Pedroia none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 25 12:09 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 12:06 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Boston's Kelly has no-bid broken up after 6 2/3 innings May 21