Reyes goes the distance, avoids infamy as Jays rip TribeMay 31, 2011 - 5:02 AM
Reyes (1-4), went the distance, allowing just one run on eight hits while striking out four, to pick up his first victory since June 13, 2008. Prior to Monday, he was tied with Matt Keough and Cliff Curtis for the longest such streak in major-league history at 28 straight winless starts.
"Fitting that it was a complete game to end the much-publicized streak," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "[Reyes] kept his pitch count down and kept the game in check ... Just an outstanding game on his part."
Jayson Nix blasted a two-run homer for the Blue Jays, who have won four straight, while Rajai Davis, Jose Bautista and Corey Patterson also had two RBI apiece.
Fausto Carmona (3-6) suffered the loss after allowing nine runs -- seven earned -- on nine hits and two walks in only four full frames.
Shelley Duncan homered into the fifth deck in left field to account for Cleveland's lone run. Only 14 home runs had previously reached the fifth deck at the venue.
The Indians have dropped five of their last six.
Toronto, which scored a season-high 13 runs on Sunday, jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the third behind Nix's third home run of the season.
Duncan's stunning blast made it 2-1 in the fourth. It was the first home run to reach the fifth deck of the Rogers Centre since Jayson Werth's long ball in June of 2009.
Toronto took a decisive lead in the fourth, pushing seven runs across the plate to take a 9-1 lead. With the bases loaded, Davis ripped a two-run double down the left field line. Eric Thames and Davis crossed the plate three batters later as Orlando Cabrera muffed a soft grounder by Corey Patterson. Bautista followed with a two-run double to right and scored himself on a J.P. Arencibia double.
Thames crossed the plate again in the fifth to make it 10-1, before Patterson sealed the final margin with a sac fly to left, which plated Davis.
On Sunday the Blue Jays scored a season-high 13 runs in a win over the White Sox....The Indians have been outscored 44-12 over the last seven contests...Escobar extended his hit streak to a season-high 11 games.
- CLEVELAND: 1
May 30 9:29 PM
- Corey Patterson sacrifice fly to left scored Rajai Davis with two out. Runner on first and Jose Bautista due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 11 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 30 8:40 PM
- Yunel Escobar single to right scored Eric Thames with one out. On the play, Rajai Davis advances to third. Runners on first and third and Corey Patterson due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 10 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 30 8:39 PM
- J.P. Arencibia double to left scored Jose Bautista with two out. Runner on second and Aaron Hill due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 30 8:23 PM
- Juan Rivera grounded out third to first. On the play, Jose Bautista advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 30 8:22 PM
- Corey Patterson reached first on Orlando Cabrera's fielding error scored Eric Thames and Rajai Davis with one out. On the play, Yunel Escobar advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jose Bautista due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 6 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 30 8:19 PM
- Rajai Davis double to left scored J.P. Arencibia and Aaron Hill with none out. On the play, Eric Thames advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jayson Nix due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 30 8:12 PM
- Shelley Duncan one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Orlando Cabrera due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 30 8:00 PM
- Jayson Nix none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Rajai Davis. Yunel Escobar due up.
Indians 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 30 7:49 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 7:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21