Indians outslug Blue Jays 13-9Jun 2, 2011 - 6:20 AM
LaPorta finished 3-for-5 and Grady Sizemore had a three-run double for the Indians, who have won three of their last five. Cabrera went 4-for-6 and scored twice.
Backed by the heavy bats, Josh Tomlin (7-2) picked up the win despite allowing six runs on eight hits.
"It's nice to have that extra cushion," said Tomlin, who walked one and struck out seven in six innings.
Rajai Davis hit a three-run homer and knocked in four for Toronto, which has dropped two straight after winning the previous four. Jose Bautista had a two- run single in defeat.
Kyle Drabek (3-4), making his first career start against Cleveland, lasted only two-thirds of an inning. The young righty was raked for four runs on three hits and three walks, throwing 38 pitches -- 15 for strikes.
Cleveland batted around, putting up four runs in the first.
Consecutive doubles by Michael Brantley and Cabrera gave the Indians a 1-0 lead. After Drabek struck out Shin-Soo Choo, he walked the next two batters and Sizemore followed with a three-run double into the left-field gap. LaPorta then grounded out, but Jack Hannahan drew a free pass that ended Drabek's outing.
The Indians then blew the game open with an eight-run third after sending 13 men to the plate.
Travis Buck led off with a single and Carlos Santana drew a walk before coming around two batters later on LaPorta's homer to left-center that made it a 7-0 game, but Cleveland wasn't finished.
Hannahan doubled and crossed the plate on Adam Everett's base hit. Then later in the inning, Cabrera brought in two more with a double high off the left- field wall. Choo reached on a three-base error by center fielder Davis that scored another and Buck's pop up to shortstop was dropped by Yunel Escobar, bringing in the 12th run of the game.
Toronto got on the board with a three-spot in the fifth. Three straight triples by Eric Thames, Davis and Jayson Nix brought in a pair, and Corey Patterson's RBI single made it 12-3. It was the first time a team has hit three consecutive triples since Montreal accomplished the feat in 1981.
Brantley chased in a run in the sixth with a fielder's choice groundout and Davis answered with a three-run homer in the home half to get the Blue Jays within 13-6.
Toronto put runners on the corners with nobody out in the seventh, but Bautista grounded into a 5-4-3 double play to bring home another.
Bautista hit a two-run single in the ninth off Rafael Perez. Vinnie Pestano entered and retired the first two batters faced before issuing a walk to Edwin Encarnacion, but Thames then struck out to end the game.
"We continued to battle and give ourselves opportunities, but given the 12-run deficit that the first three innings had in store for us ... it was a huge hole to come back from," said Blue Jays manager John Farrell.
The Indians have won eight of their last 10 versus the Blue Jays and took two of three in the lone meeting at Rogers Centre last year...Escobar's 12- game hitting streak came to an end...Cleveland went 5-for-17 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11, while Toronto left seven men on base.
- CLEVELAND: 13
Jun 1 10:21 PM
- Jose Bautista infield single to third scored Mike McCoy and Corey Patterson with none out. Runner on first and Juan Rivera due up.
Indians 13, Blue Jays 9 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 1 10:13 PM
- Juan Rivera grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Indians 13, Blue Jays 7 End 7Jun 1 9:36 PM
- Rajai Davis two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left center scored J.P. Arencibia and Edwin Encarnacion. Jayson Nix due up.
Indians 13, Blue Jays 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 1 9:22 PM
- Michael Brantley grounded into a fielder's choice short to first, scoring Matt LaPorta with two outs. Adam Everett out at second. Runner on first and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 13, Blue Jays 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 1 9:10 PM
- Corey Patterson infield single to second scored Jayson Nix with two outs. Runner on first and Jose Bautista due up.
Indians 12, Blue Jays 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 1 9:00 PM
- Jayson Nix triple to center scored Rajai Davis with one out. Runner on third and Yunel Escobar due up.
Indians 12, Blue Jays 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 1 8:57 PM
- Rajai Davis triple to right center scored Eric Thames with one out. Runner on third and Jayson Nix due up.
Indians 12, Blue Jays 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 1 8:55 PM
- Travis Buck reached first on Yunel Escobar's fielding error, scoring Shin-Soo Choo with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 12, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 1 8:18 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo reached third on Rajai Davis's fielding error, scoring Asdrubal Cabrera with one out. Runner on third and Travis Buck due up.
Indians 11, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 1 8:13 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera double to left center scored Adam Everett and Michael Brantley with one out. Runner on second and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 10, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 1 8:08 PM
- Adam Everett single to center scored Jack Hannahan with one out. Runner on first and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 8, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 1 8:05 PM
- Matt LaPorta one-out, three-run Home Run (7) to center scored Travis Buck and Carlos Santana. Jack Hannahan due up.
Indians 7, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 1 8:03 PM
- Grady Sizemore double to center scored Asdrubal Cabrera, Travis Buck and Carlos Santana with one out. Runner on second and Matt LaPorta due up.
Indians 4, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 1 7:21 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo struck out swinging. Runner on second with one out and Travis Buck due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 1 7:13 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 7:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21