Sipp's balk proves costly, Indians fall to GiantsJun 26, 2011 - 4:39 AM
The miscue by Tony Sipp made a winner out of Matt Cain (7-4) and lifted the Giants to their fourth straight win.
Cain gave up just four hits and a walk with six strikeouts in seven-plus innings. Justin Masterson (5-6) was saddled with the loss as he was charged with the unearned run and four hits with two walks and five strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings.
"That's the way it goes sometimes," Cain said. "You have to find ways to get runs across and do whatever you can. Us, as a staff, have to keep that lead when we get that chance."
Michael Brantley went 3-for-4 for the Indians, who have lost four of their last five.
Masterson was on the mound for the start of the seventh and gave up a leadoff double to Nate Schierholtz, but he was nailed trying to stretch it into a triple. Tejada followed by reaching first on a throwing error by second baseman Cord Phelps.
After Chris Stewart popped out to short, another Phelps miscue allowed Matt Cain to reach base and the Indians turned to Sipp to get them out of the jam.
Andres Torres stepped to the plate and worked a walk to load the bases. With Emmanuel Burriss batting, Sipp flinched his left arm before throwing a pitch and home plate umpire Bob Davidson called a balk, allowing Tejada to score.
"We didn't lose the game because of a balk," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "We lost the game because of errors and walks and we left guys on base."
The Indians loaded the bases in the eighth with two outs, but Javier Lopez got Grady Sizemore to ground out.
Brian Wilson worked a 1-2-3 ninth inning to pick up his 23rd save of the season.
The Indians got a leadoff double from Brantley in the sixth and he moved to third on a Phelps groundout. Cain, though, got Asdrubal Cabrera to groundout and, after walking Carlos Santana, forced a pop out from Sizemore to end the frame.
The Indians placed right fielder Shin-Soo Choo on the 15-day disabled list on Saturday with a fractured left thumb that he injured in Friday's game. The team recalled outfielder Travis Buck from Triple-A Columbus to take the roster spot...The San Francisco Giants activated pitcher Barry Zito off the 15-day disabled list on Saturday and placed pitcher Jonathan Sanchez on the DL...This is the first meeting between the teams since the Giants took two of three in Cleveland in 2008...Cain went 4-0 in June in five starts...Since winning his first five starts of the season, Masterson is 0-6 over 11 starts in May and June.
- CLEVELAND: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Jun 25 6:34 PM
- Andres Torres advanced to second Matt Cain advanced to third and Miguel Tejada scored on a balk with two out. Runners on second and third and Emmanuel Burriss at the plate.
Indians 0, Giants 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 25 6:08 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 4:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21