Toronto trounces ClevelandJul 10, 2011 - 8:43 PM
Eric Thames went 3-for-5 with a two-run home run, while Jose Bautista added a two-run double for the Blue Jays, who have won three consecutive games.
Brett Cecil (2-4) worked six innings to earn the win, giving up one unearned run on six hits while striking out six and walking three.
Jack Hannahan knocked in Cleveland's only run with an RBI single and Carlos Santana added a pair of hits for the Indians, who lost the last three games of the series after winning the opener on Thursday night.
Carlos Carrasco (8-6) went three innings to absorb the loss, yielding five runs on seven hits, while fanning four and walking a pair.
The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the third and cruised from there. Yunel Escobar led off with a sharp single to right and Thames followed by blasting a Carrasco pitch into the right-center field seats for his fourth home run of the year and a 2-0 lead.
The Jays plated three more in the inning. Bautista singled to right and Travis Snider walked to put two men on with two down. J.P. Arencibia slapped a single to center to score Bautista. The Blue Jays plated two more on Patterson's ground-rule double to make it 5-0.
Toronto extended its lead in the sixth. Rajai Davis ripped a one-out single to left, advanced to second on a balk by Rafael Perez, then moved to third on an infield single by Thames. Bautista knocked in both runners with an RBI double down the line in left to give the Blue Jays a 7-0 advantage.
Cleveland got on the board in the sixth. With two outs and runners on first and second, Hannahan smacked an RBI single to center to score Grady Sizemore and make it a 7-1 contest.
Jason Frasor closed out the game in the ninth for Toronto.
Bautista is hitting .407 this season against the Indians...Snider hit his 50th career double in the fifth inning...Cleveland fell to 27-18 at home this season...Toronto is 16-11 against AL Central opponents while Cleveland is 15-14 against AL East competition.
- TORONTO: 7
Jul 10 4:11 PM
- Michael Brantley grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Blue Jays 7, Indians 1 End 6Jul 10 3:15 PM
- Jose Bautista double to left scored Rajai Davis and Eric Thames with two out. Runner on second and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 7, Indians 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 10 3:00 PM
- Corey Patterson ground-rule double to right center scored Travis Snider and J.P. Arencibia with two out. Runner on second and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 5, Indians 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 10 2:04 PM
- J.P. Arencibia single to center scored Jose Bautista with two out. On the play, Travis Snider advances to second. Runners on first and second with Corey Patterson due up.
Blue Jays 3, Indians 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 10 2:01 PM
- Jose Bautista singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 2, Indians 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 10 1:53 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 10 1:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21