Florida downs Nats in extrasApr 6, 2011 - 4:12 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Donnie Murphy's line-drive single scored Omar Infante for the game-winning run as Florida topped Washington in 10 innings, 3-2, in the first of a three-game set.
Murphy finished with two hits and scored once while Logan Morrison notched a home run and a double for the Marlins, who had dropped two of three to the Mets over the weekend.
Edward Mujica (1-0) got the win for pitching a perfect tenth inning with two strikeouts. Starter Anibal Sanchez went 5 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on seven hits while fanning seven batters in the no decision.
Ryan Zimmerman had a home run and scored twice the Nationals, who lost two of three to the Braves to open the season.
Veteran Jason Marquis had a solid start for the Nationals, allowing two runs on six hits in 6 1/3 frames. Drew Storen (0-1) was tagged with the loss, loading the bases during the 10th inning to set up the winning run.
"I felt comfortable on what I wanted to do," Marquis said. "My game is to put the ball in play and, obviously, the defense did a good job tonight."
The Marlins went just 2-for-14 with runners in scoring position during the game but got the big hits when it mattered.
Washington's big offseason acquisition, Jayson Werth, committed a costly error on Omar Infante's shallow blooper to right to start the bottom of the 10th. Infante then moved to second following a wild pitch.
After Storen walked Hanley Ramirez, Gaby Sanchez singled to load the bases with no outs. It looked like the Marlins were going to leave the bases full following Morrison's fly out and John Buck strike out.
However, Murphy's liner to left field sent Infante trotting across the plate for the win.
"It never gets old. It's always fun to hit in that situation," Murphy said. "I felt good going into the at-bat and was just looking for a good pitch."
Mike Morse's two-out single in the first scored Zimmerman -- who reached on a walk -- to give the Nationals an early 1-0 lead.
Morrison knotted it at one during the bottom of the second with a leadoff homer into left field. However, the Nationals snatched the lead right back, 2-1, during the top of the following frame when Zimmerman ripped a line shot that cleared the left-field fence.
Florida's starter had some trouble in the sixth when he let up a two-out single to fellow pitcher Marquis to put runners on the corners. But Ryan Webb came in to force Jerry Hairston Jr. to ground out to short to get out of the jam.
The Marlins got the game-tying run during the bottom of the seventh. Murphy led off with a double down the left-field line. Emilio Bonifacio's sacrifice bunt moved Murphy to third and Greg Dobbs launched a pinch-hit sacrifice fly to center.
Florida went 13-5 against the Nats in 2010 and improved to 40-14 in the series over the last three-plus seasons...The Marlins left 11 batters on base, while Washington left 12. The Nationals also were 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position...Werth was 1-for-5 with two strikeouts.
- WASHINGTON: 2
Apr 5 10:41 PM
- Donnie Murphy singled to left scored Omar Infante to end the game.
Nationals 2, Marlins 3 Bot 10, 2 OutsApr 5 10:41 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Greg Dobbs sacrifice fly out to center scored Donnie Murphy. None on with two outs and Chris Coghlan due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 5 9:29 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Adam LaRoche due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 5 7:52 PM
- Logan Morrison lead-off Home Run (2) to left. John Buck due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 5 7:46 PM
- Mike Morse single to left scored Ryan Zimmerman with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Rick Ankiel due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 5 7:17 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Jayson Werth due up.
Apr 5 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21