Price nearly goes the distance, Rays down JaysMay 5, 2011 - 8:30 PM
John Jaso added an RBI double and scored a run, while Matt Joyce had a sacrifice fly for the Rays, who have won three of their last five overall.
Price (4-3) was sensational, allowing one unearned run and scattering four hits, while striking out 10 without issuing a walk. Kyle Farnsworth retired Adam Lind on a ground out to end the game and pick up his sixth save of the season.
Corey Patterson provided the only offense with an RBI ground out for Toronto, which has dropped four of five.
Kyle Drabek (2-2), starting in place of Ricky Romero, who was scratched with a left oblique sprain, surrendered three runs on six hits, walked four and fanned three over 5 2/3 innings. Romero is expected to start on Saturday against Detroit.
Starting pitching dictated the first 2 1/2 innings, before Tampa Bay broke through for a three-spot in the third.
Consecutive doubles by Sean Rodriguez and Jaso plated a one. Then with runners on the corners and one out, Damon's infield single scored another and later in the inning, a bases loaded sacrifice fly by Joyce made it 3-0.
Price was cruising through his outing, but ran into a little trouble in the ninth. John McDonald reached on a two-base error by Rodriguez to start the inning and moved to third on a fly ball by Rajai Davis. Patterson plated McDonald with a ground out to second and Price was lifted for Farnsworth, who gave up a single to Yunel Escobar before getting Lind to bounce out to first to preserve the win.
Tampa Bay took two of three contests from Toronto at Rogers Centre from April 22-24 and has won seven of the last 10 meetings in this series...Toronto went 5-5 on its 10-game road trip.
- TORONTO: 1
TAMPA BAY: 3
May 5 3:43 PM
- Corey Patterson grounded out, second to first scored John McDonald.. None on with two outs and Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 5 3:37 PM
- Matt Joyce sacrifice fly out to left scored Ben Zobrist.. Runners on first and second and with two outs and B.J. Upton due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rays 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 5 2:05 PM
- Johnny Damon infield single to third scored John Jaso. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Evan Longoria due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rays 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 5 2:00 PM
- John Jaso doubled to right scored Sean Rodriguez.. Runner on second with none out and Sam Fuld due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rays 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 5 1:54 PM
- TORONTO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 5 1:13 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21