Romero shuts down RaysAug 3, 2011 - 6:04 AM
Romero (9-9) carried a no-hitter into the sixth before giving up a leadoff homer to Desmond Jennings. Romero walked four batters. It was the second straight game he's pitched at least eight innings.
Jose Bautista and Yunel Escobar each clubbed solo homers and Rajai Davis tallied two hits, including an RBI double, for Toronto, which has won six of its last eight. They are three games over .500 (56-53) for the first time since April 8.
Tampa Bay, losers in five of its last eight tries, had just three hits. The Rays nearly rallied in the ninth by placing runners at the corners, but Jon Rauch shut the door by retiring Matt Joyce on a fly ball to left field. It was Rauch's 10th save of the year.
David Price (9-10) struck out six, but gave up three runs on five hits in 6 2/3 innings for his third straight loss.
The Rays blew an opportunity score first, loading the bases with nobody out in the second but came up empty. Joyce and Kelly Shoppach fanned, and Sean Rodriguez grounded into a force play.
"If you don't get him early and he gets out of a couple of jams he normally settles in, which he did again," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "We have to do better. We've been really bad at that play."
After three scoreless innings, Bautista put the Blue Jays up in the fourth. He sent a 2-0 fastball over the wall in left for his league-best 32nd home run.
Toronto extended its lead in the sixth with another longball. Escobar sent the 1-0 offering into the right field bleachers.
The Blue Jays took a 3-1 lead in the seventh. Travis Snider beat out a potential double-play then stole second before scoring when Davis doubled into left-center.
All nine contests between the Rays and Blue Jays this season have been decided by two runs or less...Bautista homered for first time in 14 games...Ben Zobrist snapped a 10-game hitting streak...The Rays activated pitcher Juan Cruz from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitched Mike Ekstrom to Triple-A Durham.
- TORONTO: 3
TAMPA BAY: 1
Aug 2 9:53 PM
- Rajai Davis double to center scored Travis Snider. Runner on second with two outs and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 3, Rays 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 2 8:59 PM
- Desmond Jennings lead-off Home Run (2) to right to break up Ricky Romero's no-hitter. Johnny Damon due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rays 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 2 8:41 PM
- Yunel Escobar lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rays 0 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 2 8:34 PM
- Jose Bautista one-out, solo Home Run (32) to left. Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 2 8:08 PM
- TORONTO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21