Shields guides Rays past Blue JaysAug 4, 2011 - 4:46 AM
Shields (10-9) became the Rays second 10-game winner after giving up just three hits and three walks while fanning six.
Robinson Chirinos was 2-for-2 with his first major league home run and four RBI, and Ben Zobrist and Casey Kotchman each hit solo homers for Tampa Bay, which has won four of six.
"I loved the execution we had out there tonight," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "All the little things we haven't been doing lately, we did tonight. It was a really good win for us."
J.P. Arencibia hit a solo homer for Toronto, which has just two losses in its last seven tries.
Carlos Villanueva (6-3) was pegged with the loss after he was shelled for eight runs on nine hits in just 2 2/3 innings.
The Rays put four on the board in the second to take an early 4-0 lead. Zobrist opened the frame with a homer to right. B.J. Upton singled with one out then moved to third when Matt Joyce singled. Upton scored when Sean Rodriguez laid down a perfectly-executed bunt for a suicide squeeze. Joyce moved to third on a throwing error that also allowed Rodriguez to reach.
Chirinos followed with another squeeze to score Joyce before Johnny Damon knocked Rodriguez in with a sacrifice fly.
The Blue Jays came back with a run of their own in the third following Arencibia's blast. He sent the 2-1 offering over the left-field fence for his 17th homer of the season.
But the Rays kept pouring it on, adding another four in the third to go up 8-1. Kotchman homered with one out. Joyce then doubled with two down and Rodriguez was hit by a pitch before Chirinos hit a three-run blast to left.
Tampa Bay added to its lead in the seventh. Zobrist and Kotchman hit a pair of singles before advancing to second and third on a passed ball from Wil Ledezma. Joyce then singled with two outs to score Zobrist.
Wednesday's game was the first decided by more than two runs all season between these clubs...The Rays have started a pitcher under the age of 30 for 710 consecutive games...Arencibia has homered six times in his last 10 games...Toronto shortstop Yunel Escobar singled in the eighth inning. He has reached base safely in 31 of his last 35 contests.
- TORONTO: 1
TAMPA BAY: 9
Aug 3 9:50 PM
- Matt Joyce single to center scored Ben Zobrist with one out. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to third. Runners on first and third and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 9 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 3 9:18 PM
- Robinson Chirinos two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Matt Joyce and Sean Rodriguez. Desmond Jennings due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 3 8:11 PM
- Casey Kotchman one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. B.J. Upton due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 5 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 3 8:05 PM
- Yunel Escobar grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 4 Top 3, 1 OutAug 3 7:57 PM
- Johnny Damon sacrifice fly to center scored Sean Rodriguez with two outs. Runners on first and second and Evan Longoria due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rays 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 3 7:52 PM
- Robinson Chirinos bunt single to first scored Matt Joyce with one out. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Desmond Jennings due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rays 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 3 7:49 PM
- Sean Rodriguez sacrificed, reached first on Carlos Villanueva's error scored B.J. Upton with one out. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to third. Runners on first and third and Robinson Chirinos due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rays 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 3 7:48 PM
- Ben Zobrist lead-off Home Run (15) to right. Casey Kotchman due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rays 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 3 7:38 PM
- TORONTO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 7:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21