Rays need extras to earn series win against JaysAug 4, 2011 - 9:01 PM
B.J. Upton stroked a one-out triple in the 12th and Shawn Camp (1-2) intentionally walked the next two hitters to load the bases. Camp struck out Elliot Johnson but Chirinos singled to left field to win the game.
Brandon Gomes (1-1) pitched the 12th to earn the win.
The Rays tied the game with two runs in the 11th to stay alive for the second time in extra innings.
Upton hit a leadoff double then moved to third on a Casey Kotchman single before scoring when Matt Joyce grounded out to second. Kotchman scored when pinch-hitter Chirinos singled to tie the game. Desmond Jennings then dropped a double just fair in right to put runners at second and third with two outs.
Camp intentionally walked Johnny Damon to load the bases before getting Evan Longoria to ground out. Longoria smoked a fastball off Camp's leg and the ball ricocheted to Jose Bautista, who gunned Longoria down at first to end the frame and keep the game tied.
Jose Molina hit a two-run triple in the top of the 11th inning to give Toronto a 6-4 lead. Edwin Encarnacion and Aaron Hill both singled before Molina smoked the ball off the wall in center to knock them in.
The Blue Jays took a 4-3 lead in the top of the 10th after Yunel Escobar worked a two-out walk then scored when Colby Rasmus hit his second double of the day off the wall in left.
But Jennings tied the game for the Rays with a solo homer.
Tampa Bay took a 3-2 lead in the fifth following a three-run blast from Longoria. Justin Ruggiana singled to open the frame and moved to second when Jennings reached on a bunt single. One batter later, Longoria clobbered a first-pitch sinker into the left-center bleachers.
Toronto tied the game at 3-3 in the eighth after Bautista hit a solo homer. Wade Davis hung an 0-1 breaking ball and Bautista made him pay, launching it into the left field seats for his league-leading 33rd homer of the year.
Davis went 7 2/3 innings, allowing three runs while scattering five hits. Blue Jays starter Brett Cecil lasted six innings and surrendered three runs on four hits.
The Blue Jays loaded the bases in the first with no outs. Escobar walked, Rasmus hit a ground-rule double and Bautista walked before Adam Lind singled to knock in Escobar. Encarnacion followed by grounding into the double play, but Rasmus scored on the play.
Ten of the 11 contests between the Blue Jays and Rays this season have been decided by two runs or fewer...The Rays won their second consecutive series for the first time since capturing three straight series June 17-26...Escobar has reached base safely in 32 of his last 36 games.
- TORONTO: 6
TAMPA BAY: 7
Aug 4 4:03 PM
- Robinson Chirinos single to left scored B.J. Upton with two out to end the game.
Blue Jays 6, Rays 7 Bot 12, 2 OutsAug 4 4:03 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Robinson Chirinos single to center scored Casey Kotchman with two out. Runner on first and Desmond Jennings due up.
Blue Jays 6, Rays 6 Bot 11, 2 OutsAug 4 3:38 PM
- Matt Joyce ground out second to first scored B.J. Upton with one out. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to second. Runner on second and Elliot Johnson due up.
Blue Jays 6, Rays 5 Bot 11, 1 OutAug 4 3:31 PM
- Jose Molina triple to center scored Edwin Encarnacion and Travis Snider with two out. Runner on third and Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 6, Rays 4 Top 11, 2 OutsAug 4 3:24 PM
- Desmond Jennings lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Johnny Damon due up.
Blue Jays 4, Rays 4 Bot 10, 0 OutsAug 4 3:05 PM
- Colby Rasmus double to left scored Yunel Escobar with two out. Runner on second and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 4, Rays 3 Top 10, 2 OutsAug 4 2:58 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, solo Home Run (33) to left. Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 3, Rays 3 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 4 2:11 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, three-run Home Run (15) to left scored Justin Ruggiano and Johnny Damon. Ben Zobrist due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rays 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 4 1:34 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion grounded into a double play, short to second to first scoring Colby Rasmus with two out. Adam Lind out at second. Jose Bautista advances to third. Runner on third and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 4 12:21 PM
- Adam Lind single to right scored Yunel Escobar with none out. On the play, Jose Bautista advances to second and Colby Rasmus advances to third. Bases loaded and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 4 12:21 PM
- TORONTO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 4 12:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21