Rays best Red Sox in extrasSep 11, 2011 - 6:30 AM
Jennings led off by hitting a high pitch from Daniel Bard (2-7) to right- center field, and the ball dropped between Jacoby Ellsbury and Darnell McDonald.
Jennings used long strides to get to third, and after B.J. Upton grounded out to first, Longoria lined a single to center to end the game.
"It was a really entertaining, well-played game. To win that is significant," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Casey Kotchman homered and drove in two for the Rays, who blew a 5-3 lead in the ninth inning when Ellsbury and Jarrod Saltalamacchia homered off Kyle Farnsworth.
But the 11th-inning rally saved Tampa Bay, which has won three in a row -- including the opener of this three-game series on Friday -- and six of seven overall.
The Rays climbed within 4 1/2 games of the Red Sox for the American League wild card lead. The Red Sox have lost eight of 10.
"Hopefully we'll be able to take some of these bumps and bruises and be able to learn from there," Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon said.
Farnsworth entered in the ninth to secure the save and retired the first batter, but Saltalamacchia followed by lining an 0-2 hanging breaking ball just over the wall in right field.
Ellsbury followed with a blast a little farther into the right field stands, making it a 5-5 game.
Farnsworth then gave up a double to Dustin Pedroia and walked Adrian Gonzalez, and was pulled for Cesar Ramos, who got David Ortiz to ground into an inning- ending double play.
Ramos recorded the first two outs of the 10th before Brandon Gomes (2-1) took over. Gomes finished the inning and pitched a 1-2-3 top of the 11th.
The Rays loaded the bases with nobody out in the first inning, but got only one run out of the situation. Ben Zobrist grounded into a fielder's choice before Johnny Damon looked at a third strike and Matt Joyce flied out.
The teams traded run-scoring groundouts in the second, and Kotchman's sacrifice fly in the third put the Rays up 3-1.
Gonzalez's two-run blast off Tampa Bay starter Jeremy Hellickson in the fifth tied the game, but only briefly. Kotchman's solo shot to right in the home half made it 4-3.
Longoria had a sacrifice fly in the sixth.
Hellickson pitched six innings, allowing three runs on five hits and three walks...Boston starter Kyle Weiland threw four innings, giving up three runs on six hits and three walks...Gonzalez's homer was his 25th of the season, the fifth consecutive year he's reached that mark.
- BOSTON: 5
TAMPA BAY: 6
Sep 10 11:08 PM
- Evan Longoria single to center scored Desmond Jennings to end the game.
Red Sox 5, Rays 6 Bot 11, 1 OutSep 10 11:08 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury one-out, solo Home Run (26) to right. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 5, Rays 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 10 10:20 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia one-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 4, Rays 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 10 10:18 PM
- Evan Longoria sacrifice fly out to center scored Sean Rodriguez with two outs. Runner on second and Ben Zobrist due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 10 9:26 PM
- Casey Kotchman two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. John Jaso due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 10 9:05 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez two-out, two-run Home Run (25) to right scored Dustin Pedroia. David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 3 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 10 8:57 PM
- John Jaso flied out to left to end the inning.
Red Sox 1, Rays 3 End 3Sep 10 8:24 PM
- Desmond Jennings ground out third to first scored John Jaso with two outs. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to third. Runner on third and B.J. Upton due up.
Red Sox 1, Rays 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 10 7:58 PM
- Jed Lowrie ground out short to first scored David Ortiz with two outs. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to third. Runner on third and Marco Scutaro due up.
Red Sox 1, Rays 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 10 7:39 PM
- Ben Zobrist ground into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Desmond Jennings with two outs. Evan Longoria out at second. B.J. Upton advances to third. Runners on first and third and Johnny Damon due up.
Red Sox 0, Rays 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 10 7:25 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 10 7:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21