Yankees hold on to defeat Blue JaysMay 1, 2011 - 1:34 AM
Burnett (4-1) gave up four runs and nine hits, striking out four and walking none before handing the ball to the bullpen.
Joba Chamberlain and Rafael Soriano tossed two scoreless innings and Mariano Rivera worked around Jose Molina's two-out double in the ninth to earn his ninth save.
No one on the Yankees scored more than once, and nobody had more than one hit, but they went 4-for-9 with runners in scoring position and touched Toronto starter Kyle Drabek for all five of their runs and all seven of their hits.
"Obviously, crucial hits were big for us," said Yankees right fielder Nick Swisher.
Drabek (2-1) pitched just 2 1/3 innings, walking four and striking out four in the shortest outing of the 23-year-old's young career.
"I think there was some frustration out there with the zone command and maybe the strike zone at times, but that's part of being at this level," said Blue Jays manager John Farrell.
Relievers Jason Frasor, Shawn Camp, Marc Rzepczynski and Frank Francisco allowed just two baserunners after Drabek's exit, but both were retired on double plays.
Mike McCoy hit a solo homer for the Blue Jays, who suffered just their second loss in six games.
Burnett, who went 38-26 for the Blue Jays from 2006-08, allowed a run in just seven pitches after Rajai Davis hit a leadoff triple and scored on Yunel Escobar's ground out in the first inning.
But the Yankees sent eight players to the plate and scored three runs in the second to move ahead for good. Russell Martin and Curtis Granderson had RBI singles during the rally and Derek Jeter hit a sacrifice fly.
Escobar scored in the third inning after reaching on a one-out single, moving to third on Jose Bautista's double and coming home on Adam Lind's sac fly to left.
Again, the Yankees came back by sending eight more batters to the plate in the bottom of the third. They scored just two runs -- Eric Chavez plated Robinson Cano with a single, then scored later on Brett Gardner's base hit -- despite three hits, two walks and a wild pitch from Drabek.
"Any way you can get the runs to come across, it doesn't matter how you do it whether you get home runs or you get a couple little base hits like we did today," said Granderson. "A run's a run."
Gardner's hit knocked Drabek out. Frasor worked the next 1 2/3 innings, allowing a leadoff walk to Mark Teixeira in the fourth, but getting Swisher on a ground-out double play to end the inning.
New York's only other baserunner came in the seventh, when Rzepczynski hit Cano with a pitch. Swisher popped into a double play two pitches later.
McCoy homered leading off the fifth and the Blue Jays got their last run in the sixth when Lind led off with a single, moved to third on Juan Rivera's double and scored on David Cooper's sac fly.
The Yankees improved to 3-3 on a seven-game homestand, while Toronto fell to 4-2 on its 10-game road trip...Burnett improved to 2-4 against the Blue Jays...Toronto won the first game of the series, 5-3, on Friday.
- TORONTO: 4
NEW YORK: 5
Apr 30 6:57 PM
- David Cooper sacrifice fly to left scored Adam Lind with one out. Runner on second with one out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 4, Yankees 5 Top 6, 1 OutApr 30 6:03 PM
- Mike McCoy lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 3, Yankees 5 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 30 5:46 PM
- Brett Gardner single to left scored Eric Chavez with one out. Bases loaded with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 5 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 30 5:21 PM
- Eric Chavez single to left scored Robinson Cano with one o ut. Runner on first with one out and Jorge Posada due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 30 5:12 PM
- Adam Lind sacrifice fly to left scored Yunel Escobar with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Juan Rivera due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 3 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 30 5:03 PM
- Curtis Granderson single to left scored Russell Martin with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mark Teixeira due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 30 4:52 PM
- Derek Jeter sacrifice fly to center scored Jorge Posada with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 30 4:50 PM
- Russell Martin single to center scored Nick Swisher with one out. Runners on first and second with one out and Brett Gardner due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 30 4:44 PM
- Yunel Escobar groundout to the pitcher scored Rajai Davis with one out. None on with one out and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 30 4:14 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 4:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21