Granderson leads Yankees past Blue JaysJul 18, 2011 - 12:30 AM
Brett Gardner went 3-for-4 and crossed the plate three times as New York won for the fourth time in six games.
Phil Hughes (1-2) went six innings, allowing two runs on four hits and two walks while striking out five for the win.
"He was great today. He had good command and good composure out there," Yankees catcher Russell Martin said of Hughes. "He just looked confident."
Carlos Villanueva (5-2) allowed five runs on eight hits and a walk through six innings. He also struck out six as the Jays lost their second straight contest after having their five-game win streak snapped.
A Gardner single, a Mark Teixeira walk and a Robinson Cano single loaded the bases for the Yankees with one out in the first. Nick Swisher followed with a line-drive single to right that scored Gardner, but a strikeout by Jorge Posada and a liner to short by Russell Martin limited the damage to just one run.
Edwin Encarnacion led off the second with a double into the right-center gap and Travis Snider followed with single into left, scoring Encarnacion and knotting the game at one.
Swisher started the fourth with a single and came around to score two batters later when Martin laced a first-pitch double into right-center field. An Eduardo Nunez base hit put runners on the corners, and Martin came home on Ramiro Pena's sacrifice fly to deep center field. After a Gardner single to right, Granderson pulled a two-run double down the first-base line to give New York a 5-1 lead.
"It was a hole that was a little too big for us to dig out of today," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "We had limited offensive opportunities."
Encarnacion worked a one-out walk, moved to third on Snider's ground-rule double and scored on Aaron Hill's sacrifice fly to right, cutting the Yankees' lead to three.
But New York got that run back in the seventh off of reliever Luis Perez. Granderson reached first on a fielder's choice, advanced to third on a base hit by Teixeira and came home on Cano's sac fly to right field.
Granderson's RBI single in the ninth extended the Yankees' cushion.
After Snider's double in the fourth inning, Yunel Escobar's walk in the sixth was the only baserunner Toronto would manage for the remainder of the game. They finished the day with just four hits and two walks.
The Yankees recalled outfielder Chris Dickerson from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and optioned outfielder Greg Golson to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre prior to Sunday's game...Toronto third baseman Jose Bautista missed his third straight game with an injured ankle...Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter was given the day off...Escobar has now reached base safely in a season-high 22 consecutive contests...The Yankees improved their major league-best record in day games to 28-5.
- NEW YORK: 7
Jul 17 3:58 PM
- Curtis Granderson singled to right scoring Brett Gardner. Runner on first with one out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 7, Blue Jays 2 Top 9, 1 OutJul 17 3:43 PM
- Robinson Cano sacrifice fly out to right scored Curtis Granderson. Runner on first with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 6, Blue Jays 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 17 3:04 PM
- J.P. Arencibia struck out swinging to end the inning.
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 2 End 4Jul 17 2:28 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion walked. Runner on first with one out and Travis Snider due up.
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 17 2:24 PM
- Ramiro Pena sacrifice fly out to center scored Russell Martin. Runner on first with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 17 2:14 PM
- Russell Martin doubled to center scoring Nick Swisher. Runner on second with one out and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 1 Top 4, 1 OutJul 17 2:11 PM
- Travis Snider singled to left scoring Edwin Encarnacion. Runner on first with none out and Aaron Hill due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 17 1:45 PM
- Nick Swisher singled to right scoring Brett Gardner. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second and Mark Teixeira advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Jorge Posada due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 17 1:21 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 17 1:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21