Molina leads Jays over YanksSep 17, 2011 - 5:50 AM
Boone Logan (5-3) allowed an Adam Lind leadoff double and intentionally walked Brett Lawrie before Cory Wade came on in relief. Molina, who entered the game as a defensive replacement in the ninth, belted a 1-1 fastball into the right- center gap to plate the winning run.
Casey Janssen (5-0) tossed two innings of scoreless relief for the Blue Jays, who have won seven of 10.
Eric Chavez hit a two-run homer and Nick Swisher went 2-for-4 with two RBI for the Yankees, who saw their lead over Boston for first place in the AL East fall to 3 1/2 games, as the Red Sox beat the Rays on Friday night.
New York starter CC Sabathia, seeking his 20th win of the season, allowed four runs on 10 hits over 5 2/3 innings in the no-decision.
"They made him work," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "I didn't think his command tonight was as great as it's been.
Minnesota starter Dustin McGowan, in just his second start since July 8, 2008, surrendered three runs over five frames.
The Blue Jays grabbed an early 1-0 lead, as Mike McCoy led off the home first with a base hit, moved to third on Jose Bautista's single and scored on Edwin Encarnacion's groundout. For Bautista, it was his first hit off Sabathia in 19 career at-bats.
In the top of the third, Brett Gardner drew a four-pitch, two-out walk then stole second and third, but Derek Jeter went down swinging to end the threat.
The Blue Jays also wasted an opportunity in the third. Singles by Kelly Johnson and McCoy and a walk to Bautista loaded the bases with one down, but Encarnacion grounded into an inning-ending, 1-2-3 double play.
The Yankees took advantage, pushing three runs across in the fourth to grab a 3-1 lead. With two down, Robinson Cano reached on a fielder's choice groundout and scored from first on Swisher's double into the left-center gap. Chavez followed with his second homer of the season.
Toronto responded, loading the bases again in the fifth on Johnson's single and walks to Bautista and Encarnacion before Lind delivered a bases-clearing double, which one-hopped off the left field wall, for a 4-3 Jays lead.
McGowan, in line for his first victory since June 22, 2008, was relieved by Jesse Litsch to begin the sixth. Litsch denied McGowan the opportunity, however, as Cano's two-out double and Swishers's subsequent single tied the game.
In the home half, Johnson and McCoy singled and Sabathia issued a two-out walk to Bautista to load the bases once-again. Luis Ayala entered and retired Encarnacion on a line drive to center, ending the inning.
"I still believe in him," Girardi said of Sabathia. "Tonight he struggled a little bit but he gave us a chance to win that game."
Keeping with the theme, David Robertson intentionally walked Bautista to load the bases with two outs in the bottom of the eighth, but Encarnacion flew out to right.
Litsch kept the Yankees off the board in the seventh, before handing the ball to Janssen, who retired the final six Yankee batters in order.
McGowan missed all of the 2009 and 2010 season with a variety of shoulder injuries...Prior to the game, the Blue Jays activated center fielder Colby Rasmus from the 15-day disabled list. He missed the previous three weeks with a jammed right wrist...Jeter went 0-for-4. His season-high hit streak was halted at 13 games...Sabathia made his 100th regular season start and appearance as a Yankee. With his next victory he will have totaled 20 wins in consecutive seasons, becoming the first major leaguer to accomplish the feat since Roy Oswalt went 20-10 in 2004 and 20-12 in 2005 with Houston.
- NEW YORK: 4
Sep 16 10:25 PM
- Jose Molina single to right center scored Brett Lawrie with one out to win the game.
Yankees 4, Blue Jays 5 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 16 10:25 PM
- Nick Swisher single to left scored Robinson Cano with two outs. Runner on first and Eric Chavez due up.
Yankees 4, Blue Jays 4 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 16 9:02 PM
- Adam Lind double to left scored Kelly Johnson, Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion with two outs. Runner on second and Brett Lawrie due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 16 8:45 PM
- Jorge Posada flied out to center to end the inning.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 1 Mid 4Sep 16 8:14 PM
- Nick Swisher doubledto right scored Robinson Cano.with two outs. Runner on second and Eric Chavez due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 16 8:11 PM
- Adam Lind struck out swinging to end the inning.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 1 End 1Sep 16 7:23 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 7:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21