Gonzalez, Red Sox top TwinsMay 8, 2011 - 11:51 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury also had three hits to extend his hitting streak to 17 games for the Red Sox, who have won two in row since a three-game losing streak. J.D. Drew and Jed Lowrie both knocked in two runs in the win.
Boston's Daisuke Matsuzaka (3-3) gave up three runs in the first inning, but settled down to last six innings and allow four total runs on five hits.
"I don't know if much was different from the first inning except for the results," Red Sox Jason Varitek said of Matsuzaka's showing.
Danny Valencia had a home run and finished with three RBI the Twins, who have lost eight their last 11 contests.
Twins starter Carl Pavano (2-4), who was gunning for his 100th career win, surrendered seven runs on 10 hits in five innings.
"My stuff just isn't good right now," Pavano said. "I'm just not getting the job done."
The Red Sox snatched the lead in the third with a four-run inning and never looked back.
Carl Crawford led off with a triple and scored on Varitek's groundout. Later in the inning, Gonzalez's single brought home Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia crossed home on Kevin Youkilis' force out. Youkilis touched the plate on Drew's single to end the rally for a 5-3 lead.
The edge was cut to one during the top of the fourth when Valencia led off with a homer, which was reviewed and confirmed that it hit the mesh of the left field foul pole.
Gonzalez, though, got his birthday home run in the fifth with an opposite field solo shot and Youkilis scored again on a Drew force out to second base, giving Boston a 7-4 lead.
Lowrie had a two-run double in the seventh while Minnesota added a run in the eighth to make up the final score.
After getting shut out for the third time this season on Saturday, the Twins put up three runs in their first at-bat on Sunday.
Denard Span led off with a walk and stole second before Trevor Plouffe drew a walk. Jason Kubel then singled in Span and, later in the inning, Valencia's single up the middle plated both Plouffe and Kubel for a 3-0 lead.
Boston got on the board in the second on Drew's groundout, which scored Youkilis for a 3-1 game.
The Red Sox placed shortstop Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique before the game. To fill the roster spot Boston recalled shortstop Jose Iglesias from Triple-A Pawtucket...Boston, which has won the season series against the Twins each of the last three years, is 9-1 at Fenway dating back to 2008...Minnesota fell to 3-5 on a nine-game road trip...Kubel was 3-for-4 with two RBI.
- MINNESOTA: 5
May 8 4:31 PM
- Jason Kubel single to left scored Trevor Plouffe with one out. Runner on first with one out and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 5, Red Sox 9 Top 8, 1 OutMay 8 4:07 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to left scored Adrian Gonzalez and Kevin Youkilis with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 8 3:59 PM
- J.D. Drew grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. David Ortiz out at second. On the play Alexi Casilla throwing error scored Kevin Youkilis with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jed Lowrie due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 8 3:24 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 6 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 8 3:17 PM
- Danny Valencia lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Ben Revere due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 5 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 8 2:46 PM
- J.D. Drew single to left scored Kevin Youkilis with two out. On the play, David Ortiz advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jed Lowrie due up.
Twins 3, Red Sox 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 8 2:40 PM
- David Ortiz singled to left. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and J.D. Drew due up.
Twins 3, Red Sox 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 8 2:37 PM
- Jason Varitek groundout to first scored Carl Crawford with one out. None on with one out and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Twins 3, Red Sox 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 8 2:28 PM
- J.D. Drew groundout to second scored Kevin Youkilis with two o ut. None on with two outs and Jed Lowrie due up.
Twins 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 8 2:15 PM
- Danny Valencia single to center scored Trevor Plouffe and Jason Kubel with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 3, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 8 1:51 PM
- Michael Cuddyer grounded out third to first. On the play, Jason Kubel advances to second and Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 8 1:51 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 1:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21