Blue Jays survive Red Sox in 10May 11, 2011 - 7:02 AM
Facing Matt Albers (0-1), Davis singled with one out, stole second and third, then came home easily on Cooper's deep fly to center. It made a winner of Carlos Villanueva (1-0), who pitched a scoreless top of the 10th.
"[Davis has] got accelerated speed. By no means were we surprised [of him stealing]," Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek said.
Cooper also homered, as did Jose Bautista and J.P. Arencibia for the Blue Jays, who halted a three-game losing skid.
"We battled extremely hard," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "We created a number of opportunities for ourselves and finally pushed the final one across in the 10th."
Adrian Gonzalez homered twice and drove in three for the Red Sox, whose three- game win streak came to an end. David Ortiz also homered among his three hits and scored twice in defeat.
The Jays tallied three times in the first inning on a bases-loaded walk to Edwin Encarnacion, and a pair of fielder's choice RBI's from Aaron Hill and Juan Rivera.
Carl Crawford's single put the Sox on the board in the second and an Ortiz leadoff homer cut Boston's deficit to one in the fourth.
Gonzalez then hit his first longball of the game, a two-run shot in the fifth after Dustin Pedroia walked, and the Red Sox led 4-3, but Bautista began the Jays' fifth with a blast and Arencibia began the home sixth by clearing the wall in left to give Toronto a 5-4 edge.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia's eighth-inning RBI base hit pulled the visitors even, but Cooper responded with his first career homer off Daniel Bard in the home portion.
Gonzalez greeted Frank Francisco in the ninth with a shot to left for a 6-6 tie, then Albers set down the Blue Jays in order to send the game to extras.
Bautista has reached base in 27 of 28 games this season...Despite the victory, the Jays have lost seven of their last 11 at home...Davis added two hits for Toronto...Jacoby Ellsbury notched three hits for the Red Sox, extending his hit streak to 19 games.
- BOSTON: 6
May 10 11:03 PM
- David Cooper sacrifice fly to center scored Rajai Davis with two out to end the game.
Red Sox 6, Blue Jays 7 Bot 10, 2 OutsMay 10 11:02 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez lead off Home Run 2 (6) to left. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 6, Blue Jays 6 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 10 10:27 PM
- David Cooper lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Corey Patterson due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 10 10:18 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia single to left scored Jose Iglesias. Runner on first with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 5 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 10 10:06 PM
- J.P. Arencibia lead-off Home Run (5) to left. John McDonald due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 10 9:11 PM
- Jose Bautista lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 10 8:55 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Dustin Pedroia. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 3 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 10 8:44 PM
- J.D. Drew fouled out to third. None on with one out and Jed Lowrie due up.
Red Sox 2, Blue Jays 3 Top 4, 1 OutMay 10 8:21 PM
- John McDonald flied out to left. None on with one out and Rajai Davis due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 3 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 10 7:53 PM
- Juan Rivera grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Jose Bautista. Aaron Hill out at second. Runner on first with two outs and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 10 7:33 PM
- Aaron Hill grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Corey Patterson. Edwin Encarnacion out at second. Jose Bautista advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Juan Rivera due up.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 10 7:31 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion walk scored Yunel Escobar. Bases loaded with none out and Aaron Hill due up.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 10 7:29 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 7:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21