Blue Jays rough up Lackey, take both from BostonMay 12, 2011 - 6:49 AM
Rajai Davis collected four hits, drove in two runs and scored twice for the Blue Jays, who took both games in the set after losing three straight to Detroit.
Yunel Escobar, Corey Patterson, Aaron Hill and David Cooper added an RBI each for Toronto.
Jesse Litsch (4-2) worked 5 2/3 innings for the win, allowing three runs on six hits while fanning four.
"We put together a solid game," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "Any time you play in your division and can win, you look at those as two wins."
Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz went deep for the Red Sox, who had won three in a row against Minnesota entering the series.
John Lackey (2-5) was hammered in the loss for nine hits and nine runs over 6 2/3 innings, walking five with one strikeout.
The Jays turned a one-run lead into a six-run margin with a big seventh frame.
"I lost a feel for my fastball in that inning," Lackey said.
Patterson worked a leadoff walk and Jose Bautista singled before two quick fly outs. J.P.Arencibia walked to load the bases and then Cooper also walked to force in a run.
McDonald followed by roping a two-run double inside the left-field line to plate two more, and Lackey was yanked for Tim Wakefield. The veteran knuckleballer was greeted with a two-run line single from Davis to cap the burst and leave the home team up 9-3.
Jon Rauch and Frank Francisco turned in scoreless relief innings to finish off the victory.
Gonzalez doubled with two down in the first and came home when Kevin Youkilis followed with a single, but the Jays countered with two in the third and two in the fourth.
In the former, Patterson singled home Davis before Hill's grounder with the bases loaded brought in Escobar. In the latter, McDonald hit a one-out solo shot, then Davis singled, stole second and third, then came in on an Escobar sacrifice fly to make it 4-1.
Boston climbed within a run in the sixth after Gonzalez cleared the wall in left with one out and Ortiz cleared the right-field wall with two out.
Bautista has hit safely in 28 of 29 games for Toronto this season...Wakefield became the oldest person to appear in a game for the Red Sox at 44 years, 282 days...Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury saw his hit streak end at 19 games after an 0-for-4 night...Boston outfielder Carl Crawford's hitting steak was extended to 11 games after a two-hit contest...Both clubs are back in action on Friday as the Blue Jays begin a five-game road trip at Minnesota, and the Red Sox head to the Bronx.
- BOSTON: 3
May 11 9:58 PM
- Yunel Escobar struck out swinging to end the inning.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 9 End 7May 11 9:33 PM
- John McDonald double to left scored Jose Bautista and J.P. Arencibia with two out. On the play, David Cooper advances to third. Runners on second and third and Rajai Davis due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 11 9:29 PM
- David Cooper walk scored Corey Patterson with two out. Bases loaded and John McDonald due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 11 9:27 PM
- David Ortiz two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. J.D. Drew due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 4 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 11 8:53 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 2, Blue Jays 4 Top 6, 1 OutMay 11 8:49 PM
- Yunel Escobar sacrifice fly to center scored Rajai Davis with two out. None on and Corey Patterson due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 11 8:22 PM
- John McDonald one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Rajai Davis due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 3 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 11 8:16 PM
- Aaron Hill grounded out third to first scored Yunel Escobar with two out. On the play, Jose Bautista advances to second and Corey Patterson advances to third. Runners on second and third and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 11 8:02 PM
- Corey Patterson single to right scored Rajai Davis with none out. On the play, Yunel Escobar advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jose Bautista due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 11 7:56 PM
- Pitchers confirmed.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 0 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 11 7:20 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 7:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21