Power display lifts Rox over DodgersApr 7, 2011 - 1:31 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Todd Helton belted a three-run homer in the third inning and Troy Tulowitzki added a two-run shot in the fourth as the Rockies topped the Dodgers, 7-5, to sweep a short two-game set at Coors Field.
Tulowitzki finished 2-for-4 and scored twice for the Rockies, while Carlos Gonzalez added two hits with an RBI and scored three times for the victors.
Jason Hammel (1-0) went five innings, allowing four runs on six hits while striking out a pair of batters.
"I actually won that game, that's pretty crazy," Hammel said. "It definitely was not my best but I made pitches when I needed to and we came out on top."
James Loney and Rod Barajas both hit solo homers for the Dodgers, who got a 2-for-3 effort with an RBI and run scored from Casey Blake, who made his regular-season debut in the loss.
Blake has been out since late March due to a sprained lower back but his return was not enough to lift the Dodgers to victory. Chad Billingsley (1-1) lasted only three innings, allowing five runs on six hits while striking out three.
"This is just one of those days," Billingsley said of his outing. "It's tough to pitch when you are behind in the count."
The Rockies got the scoring started in the bottom of the first as Seth Smith double to right center with one-out, and scored on Gonzalez's double to right. Gonzalez later scored on Jose Lopez's single to left to give Colorado an early 2-0 lead.
Loney got the Dodgers on the board with his first homer of the year with one out in the second, and Barajas led of the third with his solo shot to even the game at two.
Rafael Furcal walked two batters later and was plated on Blake's triple to right-center. Andre Ethier then laced a single to right to right that easily scored Blake, capping the three-run inning and giving the Dodgers a 4-2 edge.
The Rockies responded, though, as Gonzalez walked to open the home half of the third and a Tulowitzki single put runners on first and third. Helton then smacked his first homer of the season over the right field wall to give the Rockies the go-ahead run.
Blake Hawksworth entered the game for Billingsley in the fourth, and after Gonzalez hit a one-out single to left-center, Tulowitzki hit his second homer of the season to widen the Rockies' lead to 7-4.
Juan Uribe knocked in Los Angeles' final run as he scored Matt Kemp on a grounder to second in the eighth.
Huston Street came in to close out the ninth for the Rockies, and despite allowing back-to-back singles to start the frame regained his composure and sat down three-straight to secure his third save of the season.
The Colorado Rockies placed right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez on the 15-day disabled list with a cuticle cut on his pitching thumb Wednesday...The Dodgers were 11-7 against the Rockies last season, winning each of the final four meetings.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Apr 6 6:15 PM
- Juan Uribe's groundout from second to first scored Matt Kemp. None on with two outs and Marcus Thames due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 7 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 6 5:54 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Carlos Gonzalez. Todd Helton is due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 7 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 6 4:48 PM
- Todd Helton none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki. Jose Lopez is due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 6 4:13 PM
- Andre Ethier singled to right scoring Casey Blake. Runner on first with one out and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 2 Top 3, 1 OutApr 6 3:56 PM
- Casey Blake tripled to right-center scoring Rafael Furcal. Runner on third with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 2 Top 3, 1 OutApr 6 3:55 PM
- Rod Barajas lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Chad Billingsley is due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 2 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 6 3:49 PM
- James Loney one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Juan Uribe is due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 2 Top 2, 1 OutApr 6 3:33 PM
- Jose Lopez singled to left scoring Carlos Gonzalez. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ian Stewart due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 6 3:26 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez doubled to right scoring Seth Smith. Runner on second with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 6 3:22 PM
- Rafael Furcal grounded out to first. None on with one out and Casey Blake due up.
Apr 6 3:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22