Navarro pushes Dodgers past Marlins in the ninthMay 28, 2011 - 5:34 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Pinch-hitter Dioner Navarro hit an RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning to lift the Los Angeles Dodgers over the Florida Marlins, 3-2, in the opener of a three-game series.
Clay Hensley (0-1) started on the mound for the Marlins in the ninth. Casey Blake, fresh off the 15-day DL, got the frame started with an infield single. Andre Ethier followed with a base hit to right, and Mike Stanton's fielding error moved Blake to third. Matt Kemp was intentionally walked to load the bases with no outs. Navarro then singled to center to drive in the winning run.
"I just tried to hit the ball up the middle," Navarro said. "It was a big relief to get this win."
Ethier and James Loney hit solo homers for the Dodgers, who started a six- game homestand on Friday.
Dodgers starter Jon Garland gave up one run on five hits over 6 1/3 innings. Rubby De La Rosa (1-0) picked up his first win the big leagues despite allowing a run on two hits over two innings.
Greg Dobbs went 3-for-4 with two RBI for the Marlins, who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Florida starter Javier Vazquez gave up two runs on three hits over six full frames.
Loney's solo homer to right in the second gave the Dodgers an early lead.
Dobbs helped Florida tie the game in the sixth. Hanley Ramirez walked and Logan Morrison singled to begin the frame. Ramirez moved to third when Gaby Sanchez grounded into a double play and crossed the plate on Dobbs' single.
LA took the lead back in the home sixth on Ethier's solo blast to right.
The Marlins tied the contest again in the eighth. De La Rosa, appearing in his second career game, walked Ramirez. Sanchez hit a one-out single to put runners on the corners. Dobbs then hit an RBI single to right to make it 2-2. Florida had a chance to go in front with runners on first and third. Stanton fouled out for the second out, and Sanchez acted like he was going to tag up. A controversial move by Sanchez led to a rundown and the final out of the inning.
"Javier pitched a great game," Sanchez said. "We had chances to score runs. We just didn't come through tonight."
Florida won two of three meetings from the Dodgers in late April...Los Angeles optioned infielder Russell Mitchell to Triple-A Albuquerque to make room on the roster for Blake...The Marlins went 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven...Ramirez walked three times and scored twice.
- FLORIDA: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
May 28 12:49 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Dioner Navarro singled to center scored Casey Blake with none out to end the game.
Marlins 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 28 12:49 AM
- Jamey Carroll struck out swinging. None on with one out and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Marlins 2, Dodgers 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 28 12:28 AM
- Andre Ethier two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Matt Kemp due up.
Marlins 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 27 11:51 PM
- Greg Dobbs singled to left scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on first with two outs and Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 27 11:42 PM
- James Loney two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Rod Barajas due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 27 10:45 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 10:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22